Suggestions for high efficiency nearfield speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2009, 11:44 AM   #1
mrevie is offline mrevie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestions for high efficiency nearfield speakers

Hi,

Having just perfect my home theatre/listening room I've recently discovered that I need to move towns for the last two years of my course. This means that for at least the next year I'll be confined to just one room. Needless to say, this simply wont fit my big floorstanders etc.

So! I was looking for suggestionsfor nice sounding, high efficiency nearfield speakers. Most likely to be driven by a Pass FirstWatt F5 or a low powered single ended SS class A amp. Which will in turn by supplied by a USB DAC (yet to be chosen). What I enjoy hearing most in a pair of speakers is detail and a good soundstage. I listen to alot of rock, folk, indie and alternative.

When I first started thinking about this I was seirously considering going the fullrange option (most like one of the fonken family), but the problems that single driver systems have with complex pieces of music is somewhat offputting.

So here I am. Any suggestions?
Old 28th August 2009, 02:57 PM   #2
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Allow me to present a couple of questions

1. Price range?
2. Are you looking for a finished speaker made by someone else or raw speaker drivers to put into a speaker you are making.
3. You imply that you are looking for a 2 or 3 way speaker rather than a single driver? What would suit you?
4. General size of the speaker you are considering (small - say 1 ft3 - 28 liters)?

This should help others in presenting you with some suggestions.

Old 28th August 2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Decware DM944s would be on my list
Old 29th August 2009, 02:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

1. Price range?
Potentially as high as 200USD per speaker.

2. Are you looking for a finished speaker made by someone else or raw speaker drivers to put into a speaker you are making.
Raw drivers would be best. Othewise it wouldn't be diy.

3. You imply that you are looking for a 2 or 3 way speaker rather than a single driver? What would suit you?
I'm open to all suggestions at the moment. I just haven't seen many (if any) bookshelf size speakers that are of a reasonable efficiency.

4. General size of the speaker you are considering (small - say 1 ft3 - 28 liters)?

Yes, definitely small. 28L sounds about right.
Old 29th August 2009, 02:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbug View Post
Decware DM944s would be on my list

Wow, those would be absolutely perfect. Unfortunately a little expensive for my current budget.

Perhaps we could work out how to diy a similar pair...
Old 29th August 2009, 03:07 AM   #6
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevie View Post
1. Price range?
Potentially as high as 200USD per speaker.

Raw drivers would be best. Othewise it wouldn't be diy.

I'm open to all suggestions at the moment. I just haven't seen many (if any) bookshelf size speakers that are of a reasonable efficiency.

Yes, definitely small. 28L sounds about right.
These might be of interest:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-400

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-402

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-480

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-063
Old 29th August 2009, 03:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I like the look of those hi-vi tweets. Definitely finding the ribbon/planar tweeter route appealing. However, they tend to need to be crossed quite high. I'm not finding many mid-woofers with matching efficiency and frequency response..
Old 29th August 2009, 03:52 AM   #8
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

I have been thinking of using one of these (or a Foxtex) with my ESS AMT-1's (above 7k) and a pro woofer in OB. But that scheme is not what you are looking for at this point in time so little help there.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-010
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-020

The problem with using these drivers is it leads you into a 3-way for any decent base - or perhaps a small sub-woofer (or 2 ------------ or 3) ;-)
Old 29th August 2009, 04:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Super-low bass isn't a massive concern of mine for this project, so those drivers are definitely tempting.

Another question - as these speakers will only be used for nerfield listening. Do they really need to be high efficiency? I suppose a better qualifying factor is that the drivers don't need high volumes to "come alive".

Hide this!Advertise here!