old cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a couple of old 3 way speaker cabinets (Audio Logic dR-12, 100 watt peak, 75 watt max, 8 ohm nominal [average i guess] ) and the foam surrounds in the 12" woofers is crumbling.

I went to a local shop which tested the old drivers and claimed they are 4 ohm units, but refused to re-foam because of troubles they had in the past with the glue sticking to poly cones. I know i can just get a re-foam kit for 20 or so bucks US and repair them myself, but i saw this as a way to improve upon an already free system so i went ahead and ordered some Audax 4 ohm HT300Z2 12" drivers from madisound.

Now this isnt a particularly hifi unit to start with. My Aunt bought it over a decade ago and handed it over to me after she realized she no longer uses it. The JVC A-K300 amp (300 watts i'm assuming) has room for two sets of speakers and claims 8 ohms on the back of the unit (so 150watts x 2 at 8ohm?), but only powers the one set for now. The cabinets contain 12" woofer, 5 1/4" mid and 4" high. The mids and high have some caps soldered onto them, i guess to cross them over. The sub receives raw signal.

Having second thoughts though.. the cabinets arent really ideal for the Audax subs. They are 27" tall by 9" deep by 15" across. 3/4" MDF looks like, but seems well built. Recommended size from Audax is 2.82 cubic feet or 80L though, way shy of what these provide. And these cabinets are ported through two 6" x 1/2" slots directly behind the woofer. First time i've seen this done. Also, the remaining wood from the 12" hole cutout is fixed to the wall behind the mid-high drivers on the inside of the box, underneath some sound deadening material.

had troubles uploading the pic of them to server but it can be viewed at http://smax.org/pic/box.jpg

Do you guys think i'll be okay using the Audax subs as replacement units in there for now until i build my own setup? or would you recommend i just get a DIY re-foam kit and use the original 12's and save the Audax units for when i have the money to do the job right?

save your audax....audio logic speakers are not worth it...but as you want to work with it...get some drivers for 50 bucks and you can enjoy them...and the cabinets are particle board not MDF....you can get your replacement woofers cheaper than refoaming the surrounds and have a pair of speakers again

DIRT®

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
smak said:
After some thought, i guess the cabinets arent really ideal for the Audax subs. They are 27" tall by 9" deep by 15" across.. 3/4" MDF looks like, but seems well built. Recommended size from Audax is 2.82 cubic feet or 80L though, way shy of what these provide. And these cabinets are ported through two 6" x 1/2" slots directly behind the woofer....
Do you guys think i'll be okay using the Audax subs as replacement units in there for now until i build my own setup?

Your cabinet is 1.4 cu ft. The Vas of the Audaz HT300Z2 is 5.3, according to Madisound.

If you seal up the ports in your cabinets and put in the Audax speakers, you will have a really nice Closed Box arrangement. Almost ideal, as a matter of fact. Only thing "wrong" with it is that your F3 will be somewhere around 55 Hz, which would make a nice woofer, but perhaps not a subwoofer.

I would be tempted to put the Audax woofers in your present enclosures to see how they sound. My guess is that you will probably like them. You might want to do some work on the crossover, though, if the Audax HT300Z2 is only 4 ohms.

hrmm, Joe do you know of a place thats local that sells a decent low cost driver like that? I picked up a Q Components catalogue from that shop but it doesent have much in line of 4 ohm models (which like i said, that shop identified the old driver as.. and i should match that right?) madisound shipping/boarder duty fees would outweigh the advantage of a low cost sub.

kelticwizard, hope you dont mind me replying here.. figured Joe answered first and this thread doesent have a 1/2 loaded pic stuck in it. How would you recommend i seal up those slots? maybe cut to fit in some MDF (or particle board, to match i guess) and back it with a 7"x7" square which i can just screw over the back to hold it there sound good?

cant hurt to try i figure. glad i found this site, looks like i have alot of catching up to do. ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I too would suggest going for it, you won't damage the new drivers by running them in a non optimal box. KW's research suggest they might work quite well anyway, and I suspect they will be much better than the ones you already have, even if repaired;)

kelticwizard said:
PS: I don't know what the response curve of the
Audax looks like, so it would be a good idea to check to make sure the Audax can go high enough to meet the midrange.

Here it is, glad to be of service:)

Attachments

• ht300.png
    ht300.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 232
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.