Recommendations for first speaker build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build my own speakers, prefereably from a kit or from an established set of plans. Currently I am using Linn Index speakers which have fantastic midrange and are great with vocals but lose out under 100Hz. My next speakers should be fairly inexpensive (say, £100/$150 per speaker for the drivers) and ideally should fulfill the following criteria:

• Stand mount (although they can be big)
  • Fairly efficient (will be used with a Naim Nait 3)
  • Capable of producing high levels of volume :)cool:)
  • Good with Rock/Dance type music

I realise a lot of these seem inompatible requirements, but I think the World Audio Designs KLS8 may work, this is a large bookshelf with a 10" woofer and horn loaded tweeter in a sealed 50L cabinet. It produces 42Hz bass and 94Db efficiency which seem to satisfy my requirements.

Is there anything else I should look at, and has anyone here built or heard the KLS8 and have any comments?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mcai7et2 said:
I would like to build my own speakers, prefereably from a kit or from an established set of plans. Currently I am using Linn Index speakers which have fantastic midrange and are great with vocals but lose out under 100Hz.

I'd think this would be an ideal situation to just add active woofers to your Indexes. Simplier than doing a multiway speaker as a 1st project, and the best thing you could do to improve the indexes. A pr of 8s per side with a plate amp (or a gain clone ) in each would do the job.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.