High efficiency 12 inch midrange - recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am about to buy a 12" midrange driver to play the 150 to 800 hz band and it will hand over upper midrange to a Coral M100 unit mounted on a 400 hz tractrix horn. I'm looking for 100 db plus at no more than -3 db at 150 hz in a reasonably sized baffle.

My favorite at the moment is the 18Sound 12NMB420, but are there any good 12 inchers with even more sensitivity?

Cheers
Kris

The JBL might be interesting - sort of depends on what breakup there is close to x-over frequency and what it is capable of near the 150 cycles area.

The Beymas look mediocre and their sensitivity is closer to 95 db than what they claim.

The 18Sound driver is still top of my list...

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
That 18sound driver looks pretty much like 95 dB @ 150 Hz as well.

It is interesting to calculate the efficiency using the T/S parameters, as this will say a lot about what you will get in real life around 150 Hz, where the speaker is more or less operating in free-field acoustic conditions.

The drivers mentioned have the following sensitivity based on T/S (into 4pi)

18Sound 12NBM420 93,0 dB
Beyma 12MI100 93,2 dB
Beyma 12P80Nd 93,5 dB

wide baffle

That 18sound driver looks pretty much like 95 dB @ 150 Hz as well.

It is interesting to calculate the efficiency using the T/S parameters, as this will say a lot about what you will get in real life around 150 Hz, where the speaker is more or less operating in free-field acoustic conditions.

The drivers mentioned have the following sensitivity based on T/S (into 4pi)

18Sound 12NBM420 93,0 dB
Beyma 12MI100 93,2 dB
Beyma 12P80Nd 93,5 dB

The driver will be placed in a wide U shaped baffle with very large roundovers and very gradual transfer into 4pi. The 18Sound 12NBM420 is measured in a small enclosure. I expect baffle step to appear below x-over freq. in the set up that I use.

Kris

Yes! Thank you Pos, the E120 made me a bit apprehensive since it's a guitar speaker. Removing the dustcap would help.

The 2206H looks promising even though Le is a little high.

There is also this little gem: Monacor SP30A 200pro

Off topic - I did listen to the Coral M100 + Stereo Lab tractrix 400hz horn these last few days and the sound is quite promising. Strings, brass and woodwind have correct presence and detail. Very easy to distinguish the character of performance and the harmonics of these instruments. The audio band that I listened to was ~800 to 10-12kHz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.