how to refurbish speaker cones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know how many of you bought a vintage cone speaker ,which was in a bad shape, needing restauration or refurbishing. I bought a pair of Vitavox woofers, and one of the cones had a cut on the membrane, and the color was flawed. I will explain, how i restored it. I took a cup, and filled it with 1/4" of black spray color, and half of the cup with Nitro thinner. I shaked the cup, and applied the mixture with a pencil twice on the cone. Most of the mixture will evaporate. Afterwards, i let the cone dry. The mixture will let the cone stiffer, which is beneficient to avoid partial cone resonances, and it looks decent again.

this is the original shape

30D10819834443CBB86533D7D8DBFD69.jpg

and restored. The difference is not well visible, since the first picture wasn't taken with flash, and the second one was. Restaured, the cone is much darker, and better looking.

ak154.jpg

Angelo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/index.php

Last edited:
It seems that essentially what you did is wash the cone clean with some evaporative solvent.

Just a couple of questions. You applied it with a PENCIL, really a pencil? I'm sorry, I can't picture how a pencil would be used for such a purpose.

Next, that cleaned the cones, but how did you repair the tear?

Still, very nice work.

Steve/bluewizadr

It seems that essentially what you did is wash the cone clean with some evaporative solvent.

Just a couple of questions. You applied it with a PENCIL, really a pencil? I'm sorry, I can't picture how a pencil would be used for such a purpose.

Next, that cleaned the cones, but how did you repair the tear?

Still, very nice work.

Steve/bluewizadr

hi Steve

sorry, i used the wrong word, i used a ~ 1" large brush to apply the solution.
With tear, you meen the cut in the cone ? - it was glued.
The suspension was treated as well. I used a product, a kind of glue which dries a little only after a long time ( i don't know the word in english ), used by JBL, to soften the swinging. You can see on the first picture, that it was dry.

Angelo

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.