About to begin 3-way project. advices please!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!!

I started a post in the temporal forum. Sorry about opening another but I'm in a kind of a hurry because I already bought the speakers and cant wait anymore to try them.

This is what I want to do.

I will use two speakers at the beginning, and maybe later if it is necessary, I will add a super-tweeter for >15kHz.

Woofer: 10" B-10K GB-Audio http://www.gb-audio.com.ar/B-10K.html
Mid & High: Fostex FE167E

Some specs:
- The crossover point will be like 250Hz. I will try to find polypropylene caps, but I will need 4 x 39uF:eek: that will be very expensive. Maybe array of 1uF's caps, maybe good quality 40uF electrolytic cap.
- Fostex will be impedance compensated with zobel network
- woofer will not be compensated since at low frequencies the impedance variation is not appreciable.
- 12db/octave crossover filters, attenuator for the Fostex (95db vs 89db woofer)
- 3 separated cabinets. One for the woofer (85 liters), one for Fostex & tweeter (15 liters) and the rest for the crossover.
- 5mm plywood for the cabinet and maybe another 5mm layer of MDF

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

thanks for your help and greetings to all the staff for the upgrade of the forum :)

5mm is very thin for a speaker box, Use atleast 19mm mdf or high density particle board or grade a marine plywood.

There is a bennic 40mf electrolytic cap or a 39mf poly clarity cap, no need to use array of smaller caps, making the box stronger is more important.

I think you'll gonna need more than 6db of midrange attenuation, once you factor in the baffle step response and the positioning of the speaker in the room.

Just make the xo , so that it is easily removable for tweaking.

5mm is very thin for a speaker box, Use atleast 19mm mdf or high density particle board or grade a marine plywood.

There is a bennic 40mf electrolytic cap or a 39mf poly clarity cap, no need to use array of smaller caps, making the box stronger is more important.

I think you'll gonna need more than 6db of midrange attenuation, once you factor in the baffle step response and the positioning of the speaker in the room.

Just make the xo , so that it is easily removable for tweaking.

I forgot to say something, I live in Argentina. So, I can't get good caps. Thats why I though of using array of caps.

you're right about plywood, it was a mistake, what I was thinking is 10mm and then another layer of some mm's of MDF.

As the crossover will be in a separated chamber, it will be very easy to test different configurations.

do you know how much $$ is the 39uF poly cap?

thanks for your help :)

Things I would do.:checked:
Check this woofer (simulation) in WinISD for a closed (if so) box volume. Same with the Fostex.
Check with the Edge for the right ~4dB BSC with a similar front baffle. Same with the Fostex.
Here you can make the box (vol. from WinISD) with better wood, make it 18/19mm thick. Same with the Fostex.
Choose the right inductor and frequency output for the woofer to 250Hz.
Check carefully the midrange for the right BSC ~100-1KHz.
Maybe using a 6dboct./1order (or similar) xover for a start.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
the other thing to worry about is the inductor for the woofer. Do some reading about bi-amping. I was originally going to go with the approach you have decided on, but in the end decided designing a 3-way crossover was going to be too hard, and although I'm not there yet (had a four year break, just getting back to it) I'm planning to do a passive two way crossover for the mid/tweeter and an active for the woofers.

Think of it like having a set of two ways with stereo subs which cross over at a higher frequency than a traditional sub. This will also make it much easier to match your speakers efficiency, rather than attenuating your mid/tweeter, you just make sure the is more gain/bigger amp driving the woofers :)

Tony.

Cant you order on www.madisound.com ?

40mf Solen poly cap = $13.95
40mf bennic bipolar cap=$1.25
39mf clarity cap px =$18.95

Mmmm I think I can order from madisound. The thing is that I have to multiply by 4 the price because of the currency. Imagine that you have to pay u$s 70 for the 39uf clarity cap px.

I will think if it's worthy. thanks!!

Things I would do.:checked:
Check this woofer (simulation) in WinISD for a closed (if so) box volume. Same with the Fostex.
Check with the Edge for the right ~4dB BSC with a similar front baffle. Same with the Fostex.
Here you can make the box (vol. from WinISD) with better wood, make it 18/19mm thick. Same with the Fostex.
Choose the right inductor and frequency output for the woofer to 250Hz.
Check carefully the midrange for the right BSC ~100-1KHz.
Maybe using a 6dboct./1order (or similar) xover for a start.

Are you recommending to use a sealed box with the woofer? sorry I didn't understand at all..my english is not the best. What is "BSC"?

For now, I will use only 2 way.

Wood will be then plywood 1" thick.

the other thing to worry about is the inductor for the woofer. Do some reading about bi-amping. I was originally going to go with the approach you have decided on, but in the end decided designing a 3-way crossover was going to be too hard, and although I'm not there yet (had a four year break, just getting back to it) I'm planning to do a passive two way crossover for the mid/tweeter and an active for the woofers.

Think of it like having a set of two ways with stereo subs which cross over at a higher frequency than a traditional sub. This will also make it much easier to match your speakers efficiency, rather than attenuating your mid/tweeter, you just make sure the is more gain/bigger amp driving the woofers :)

Tony.

Bi-amping sound quite good, but is not the moment for me. I dont have the money for another amp. Maybe later will diy a PA100 2xLM3886 for each channel, I justo bought a Marantz amplifier and don't want to bi-amp now.
It's a pitty that I have to attenuate that much the Fostex, 95db vs 89 :mad: but it's the best woofer I can get here.

But for the future I will think in bi-amping, also the marantz is 7.1 system so I hace line-out for sub-woofer and can set the crossover point with the DSP of the marantz.
thanks!!

Audyncap plus capacitors are good to. Ive used them quite a few times and give good results. Interesting looking speaker though. Make sure you do progress reports on the build.

I will post every detail, dont worry :D

At the begining I will use cheap electrolytic caps and once I've decided the rigth values I will see where to buy decent caps.

I have lot of 1mm copper wire for make the inductors.

This week I will start with the cabinets.

greetings,
Jorge.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
BSC = Baffle Step Correction

Dont expect to get more than 85 dB from your woofer. You should not assume half-space acoustic loading for the woofer if you place the woofer as high as on your drawing, and also place the speaker far from walls in your room.

BSC = Baffle Step Correction

Dont expect to get more than 85 dB from your woofer. You should not assume half-space acoustic loading for the woofer if you place the woofer as high as on your drawing, and also place the speaker far from walls in your room.
In the previous posts (during the upgrade of the forum) some users gave me the advice of placing the woofer near the fostex, because if I put the speaker at the bottom as I originally planned, at 250hz xover will be noticeable that some sound comes from the fostex and lows from the woofer.

It seems to be pros and cons about woofer position:

1) if I put the woofer at the top of the box I will have it near to the walls and can't put too much acustic loading. What are the cons? I think that the pro will be more natural sound asi if it were a only speaker, not two.

2) If I put the woofer at the bottom, I can put it far from all the walls. the cons will be the separation of the sound sources.

What do you recommend? thankss

PS: I will google for baffle step correction since I dont know what it is.

I made a test for ~4dB BSC. You can use less close to walls or other. You can help with woofer in a certain way, depending on design.

Attachments

• Fostex FE167E BSC.gif
    Fostex FE167E BSC.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 113
Hi Zafira,

If your worried that the price of the poly caps would quadruple or more once custom duty and tax and shipping cost is factored in.Think again, You can bypass the custom duty and tax cost, if you order small items only , that cost less than 100 usd, like a few pieces of poly caps. Use USPS shipping method, dont use fedex , cause fedex will always charge you of not only custom and tax ,But also handling fee. With USPS, I'm confident you'll receive your poly caps tax free .

The project has tarted :D I got the speakers, they look really nice!!! hand-made in Argentina.

Here some pics with my nephew helping :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Pending:the upper box where the fostex will be placed. Improve looking

to do:
- change the bass reflex tube with one with a 90 degrees angled tube.
- add damping stuff
- build the crossovers1!!! I didn't tried the speakers yet!!

greetings!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.