L18/tbfc vs B&W N805 speaker review. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2010, 07:44 AM   #11
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

OK, that's not gonna work for me...

I had to use manicure scissors for fine trimming, a blade for the edges and large scissors for the heavy duty cutting. This is as good as it gets for me, I guess - I think until I get someone to make me nice countersinks I'm stuck with this - still sounds great though

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th March 2010, 07:41 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Marchel was right about the tweeter level. I have an inductor with higher DCR than the Sledgehammer used in the original design (Alpha-core 14 AWG, 0.332 ohm) and I still need a tweak at the crossover point else the sound is nasal and hollow. I low-shelve below 2KHz, about 1 to 1.5dB.

Not sure how I can duplicate this directly the crossover, maybe just changing the 3.3 ohm resistor to a 5 ohm should get me close but I'm terrified of overshooting the mark. The felting took me ages to do - and all the drivers are jammed in the coutnersinks with the crossover at the top of the cabinet. Gonna be a task removing it...
Old 14th March 2010, 07:58 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi ,

That's a unique looking speaker

You can change the 3.3 ohms into 5 ohms, then transfer the 3.3 ohms to replace the 3.9 ohms. You'll increase the tweeter by 2 db, Don't worry about overshooting it, As you can easily add a resistor before the tweeter filter, on the speaker terminal cup, I now added a .33 ohms resistors, And I think I'm close to ideal tweeter level (to my ears), it still needed more break in period though, just to be sure.
Old 14th March 2010, 08:53 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks - though honestly I was trying to salvage it from very bad carpentry which left the baffle unusable as it was. The idea came from the Arpeggio speaker on the articles section, but eventually I ended up with the Pied Pipers of Hamelin. Oh well - maybe I'll get a better carpenter next time

The 3.3 -> 5 ohm is a easy to do, the problem with 'my' 3.3 ohm resistor is that it's a parallel combo of two low-quality, low-wattage 22ohm resistors with a single 4.7 ohm. The 4 ohm resistor is a Eagle metal film, so I'd like to keep it in place - I am seeing about 1.5 dB as the right amount of pad, so hopefully a 4 ohm and 5 ohm will work out close enough.
Old 16th March 2010, 10:12 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Finally settled on moving the crossover outside the cabinet. This seems to really clear up the midrange and open up the top end. Guess the big Alphas-Cores were getting some interference from the tweeter magnet (was mounted on top to avoid interference from the woofer magnet).

Also added 0.47 uF across the 4 ohm series resistor, and increased parallel resistor to 3.9 ohms, seems much nicer now with lots of air and detail and gets rid of the shoebox midrange effect that was bugging me.
Old 2nd November 2013, 02:12 AM   #16
macken is offline macken  Finland
diyAudio Member

Looking for my next build and stumbled upon this page/post. Is the Zaph L18 really that good? It's a pretty big difference in price vs the B&W.

Which brands did you use in your crossover? Are you bi-wiring/bi-amping the L18?

Hide this!Advertise here!