Step-by-step ambitious first project! Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've decided to get into this crazy hobby (who in their right minds would want to build a speaker other than us awesome folk!). I looked in a bunch of other forums and it seems encouraged for beginners to post their first project log. That's what I hope to turn this into! Here's the two-pronged idea:

1. My plan is to start off with this guy's cool design, which looks extremely easy, link. As a way to get into soldering, I will also be building them a T-Amp from 41Hz, the "basic" variety, link 2!.

2. So that's the plan for step one. Once I've finished this and am feeling good and confident, I plan on converting them into 3-ways by enclosing the doll in a THICK, 1/4" plexiglass box, adding a woofer, and adding another doll with a tweeter that sits on top of this box. (Clearly, this is also about a wacky design idea I have!) I would love to solder my own crossovers at this point.

I have a few questions about step 1:

1. The guy uses a 3" Tang Band bamboo full range driver,
link 3!!, which I'm sure sounds really good. Down the road when I turn this doll into the midrange, do you think these will perform well, or should I just put in a small midrange. Obviously, size is at a premium in these dolls: the Tang Band seems to just barely fit.

2. I can't really get any information on the dimensions of the doll, other than its height (7"), so I have to do step 1 without any real knowledge of its volume. Can polyfill make up for this?

3. When I convert it into a 3-way, is it OK to essentially have each driver in a different sealed enclosure? I've seen tweeters seperated from woofer and midrange, but I don't think I've ever seen all three seperated.

OK thanks!!!!!!

Well I don't mean to sound extremely fickle here but..I've revised phase two of my plan.

I think it makes far more sense to build a matching sub than to convert an existing full-range into a 3-way, especially given my lack of experience. Plus then I get to make a sub!

So that leaves all the above questions...and unfortunately two more:

1. REALLY considering a cheaper driver, because that would be nice. Have been looking on the LDSG and also saw this little guy link on PartsExpress. Any recommendations on full-range drivers less than 3"?

2. LDSG recommends using a horn for a full-range setup. Is this WAY too much of a can of worms for my first project? I'm not really sure how horns work or are built...

THANKS!

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just checked the calendar, no it's not april 1... ;) I'm 90% sure that this is a windup (and a very good one at that) but just in case it isn't, I'd make one comment. and that is to check out the chipamps forum and some of the gainclone kits over there.

I'm not familiar with the chip on the amp you have posted, but I think you might be better off with an LM3886 based kit. Much more power and should have better distortion performance. Not that a Munny speaker will be particularly high end, but it won't last for ever ;)

Oh and everyone always says DONT tackle a 3 way as a first project.. which is good advice...

Tony.

wintermute/Tony...

I can't blame you for checking the calendar...I realize this is a wacky project! But it also seems dirt easy, a good warm-up (not wind-up ;) ) to bigger, badder projects.

The drivers I'm looking at have power handling no greater than 40 watts, thus the T-Amp idea.

This is also starting to add up in cost! Like $200 for some Munny speakers and a T-Amp! Damn!

The Munny speakers are funny... but you have many better sounding options.

Have a search around this forum for TABAQ, Cyburg's Needle (and Stick), Alpair MLTL and check the box designs at planet10-hifi.com for some much better sounding full range options at a similar price (although with much more woodworking). A good cheap 3" full range is the Hi-Vi B3N (and B3S), and there's a few designs floating around for it if you search.

I would treat any 2/3 way project separately, rather than trying to modify an existing design post construction.

I built the 41hz AMP6 (not basic) and would judge it comparable to the Gainclone I later built. It should drive most of the small full range designs floating around here without much issue, and result in a small room system that will surprise you. I used the AMP6 as a great first project to get used to soldering, as it isn't very hard and the 41hz.com forums are good for any troubleshooting.

Thanks Itmon

Well I would build any of those designs assuming I had access to a woodshop right now. Without a table saw, building an enclosure seems way too much trouble.

On the other hand, $100 for some Munny speakers (about which I have no illusions of their sounding amazing) and another $100 for an amp (although I'll learn a lot from that kit) seems way too expensive for what will amount to only very decent speakers. I mean I already have some KRK monitors and Ohm floorstanders, this is totally a passion project.

I mean...the Munnys might be too easy to learn from but without woodworking tools building a proper speaker seems out of the question right now....

I dunno, I could totally be convinced to try another project, but all the ones you mentioned clearly require VERY solid woodworking skills (I haven't done anything with wood in years).

If you're not keen on woodworking, there's a few projects around that use PVC piping. I haven't tried myself, but they reportedly sound good. Here's a couple of examples but you'll find more options with some Googling:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=861
http://www.geocities.com/qgap/Pipe_Dreams.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1817460#post1817460

There's also Open-Baffle stuff, which doesn't require advanced woodwork at all, but is generally harder to make sound nice -- especially with cheaper and smaller drivers. Others are more qualified to speak about these (although I'm gearing up for my first open baffle attempt at the moment).

As far as cost is concerned: I'm not sure how to help with the amp, as the Gainclones and T-amps are the cheapest I know of. Maybe work with a 2 channel ebay or op-shop special until your willing to go for it? Or build some non-audio electronics kits to gain confidence?

Itmon,

The PVC thing might be the way to go!

I assume I can cut through it rather easily?

I think the best idea is to find someone else's PVC project and copy it identically, just to learn about this DIYing thing. I should probably keep it simple and go with a full range.

I'll post back here once I've found a suitable project to rip-off and inevitably have more questions.

I'm just going to go ahead and do the 41hz amp (even though it'll cost $100).

THanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.