Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is this a good idea?

I just bought a pair of beat up Klipsch KG 3.5 2-way speakers and I was wondering if it would work very well to convert it to 3-way speakers using all new new woofers? Is the project feasible? What kind of a crossover would I need? I know you guys are probably sick of these kinds of questions but any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.
Old 11th August 2009, 03:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Is this a good idea?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nolantor19
I just bought a pair of beat up Klipsch KG 3.5 2-way speakers and I was wondering if it would work very well to convert it to 3-way speakers using all new new woofers?
No

Quote:
Originally posted by Nolantor19
Is the project feasible?
Yes
Old 11th August 2009, 06:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Why not just ad a subwoofer, or a powered subwoofer to each speaker?
Old 12th August 2009, 12:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

to my mind it depends on how good the existing 8" unit is as a mid driver; or, the 8" may be a good woofer, and you could add a good quality midrange unit .

re:'What kind of a crossover ' - two options, active or passive; active will give the best results but more complex, - essentially it's what Sdclc suggested, but you may want to make the crossover higher than a 'sub' would go; passive you can go the whole 3-way hog or do it the easy way and use a .5 way woofer

Hide this!Advertise here!