Horizontal or vertical?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Inductor,
I wish I did, but these are early (1956) Wharfedale Super 3 tweeters. The Wharfedale factory had a massive fire & lost all their records. They also were sold off for the first of many times.
All that's available are SPL/frequency & impedence graphs.
They seem to be about 90dB & my main speaker is 95dB. That's why I wound up with four tweeters per side being needed.
dobias

I didn't know about the Warfedale fire. What year was that. Information is now in China or something (NPI), it should be kept in bunkers. You know, I don't think it is a good idea, having the tweeters next to each other because of phase issues. It's better to have a good one. Since you have them, why don't you try having them in an arc so they don't interfere so much.

Inductor,
Thanks for the opinion for a radial (horizontal) arrangement.
The fire isn't mentioned in any of the histories of the Wharfedale company.
I only know of it by contacting Wharfedale for speaker information of the early G.A.Briggs speakers.
dobias

GM

Joined 2003
dobias said:
Using four 3 inch tweeters per side (wired in series-parallel) would they be best in a vertical or horizontal lineup?
Are there any rules as to spacing?
They'll cross over at 7 kHz.

Our hearing is horizontally opposed (ears on ~180 deg apart on the side of our heads), so line arrays should be vertically opposed and due to their size should ideally be limited to < a ~1130 Hz BW and no > a ~4520 Hz BW. Since our phase hearing acuity is so poor up high though, you might can get away with it crossing at 7 kHz.

Line array white paper: http://www.audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.