30 year old IMF Super Compact conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 30 year old IMF Super Compacts were getting a bit tired so I replaced the woofers with Skytronic 8" kevlars, the mids with Hi-Vi B3N's and the tweeters with Skytronic silk dome units. For the crossover I made a simple 1st order 3-way at 750/6000Hz. Results were reasonable but not great.

I've now made some free standing 'pods' for housing the mids, tweeters and improved 2nd order crossover at 375/3000HZ (as per the original IMF's). The 'pods' sit on top of the IMF cabinets which have the openings for the original drivers blanked off so they are now just woofer enclosures. While I was at it, I replaced the Skytronic tweeter with a Hi-Vi RT1.3 ribbon.

Much better! :) but still work in progress.

I've done a write-up here:
http://sites.google.com/site/stevesstuffproject/ghetto-imf-supercompacts

I was letting for other people to look before starting asking questions. My question, do you have any ringing from the Mid or are you fine, at the top xover band (the diagram for the xover must be posted also, I didn't read the site yet)? Do you get improved soundstage imaging (a better listenning position) from the alignment of the 3 speakers?

Inductor said:
I was letting for other people to look before starting asking questions. My question, do you have any ringing from the Mid or are you fine, at the top xover band (the diagram for the xover must be posted also, I didn't read the site yet)? Do you get improved soundstage imaging (a better listenning position) from the alignment of the 3 speakers?

Mid is perhaps a little forward but acceptable to my ageing ears.

For the XO I used a calculator here:
http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/APCXOver/

Imaging is much improved over the original IMF's :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.