Woofer to suit Coral Flat10ii

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pre-ampli... oops, preamble

Note: To the moderators. This was originally posted in the 'Fullrange' forum. Alas, people don't like non-Fostex drivers over there, HAHA kidding (kind of ;)

Hi folks,

I'm at a loss.

I have a pair of lovely Coral Flat10ii's. A 60L test cab tuned to 44Hz was built and the sound, certainly the upper bass, mids, upper mi - ahh hell, from about 100Hz to around 8k they sound awesome. Beautiful even.

The bass rolls off pretty quickly in the test cab from perhaps mid 50's (F3). It's a very nice bass tonally but a bit lazy too. Instead of making larger cabinets to get a lower F3 and probably killing the drivers I'd like to build a cabinet with the Corals in a sealed of approx. 20L. With a 10 or 12" woofer filling in down below (preferably sealed also).

Modelling the Coral in Uni-Box shows a smooth roll-off from 200Hz with an F3 of around 112Hz. I've played around modelling with SB Acoustics 12" woofer in ~60L sealed which appears to cover the lowest bass notes (F3 ~40Hz). This would require plate amps to get the required gain, but that's okay. I've modelled other woofers too, but there's just too many of them.

I'm wondering what others would do as I'm stumped as to which way to go. There is of course PA drivers but so many of them too!

What to do... what would you do?

T/S of Coral - supplied by Kim Bond. Thanks Kim
Re: 7.7 Ohm
Fs: 36.6 Hz
Vas: 141 L
Qms: 3.9
Qes: .319
Qts: .295
Eff: 2.2 %
Sd: 360 sq/cm
Mms: 23 g
Mmd: 15.8 g
Cms .000823 m/N
Bl: 10.8 T/m
SPL 96dB (1W/1M)
Xmax: 2 mm

Thank you for any suggestions!

Attachments

• focal-30a1.jpg
    focal-30a1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 64
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.