Suggest cheap tweeter Please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2009, 12:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sifis_samos
Default Suggest cheap tweeter Please

Hi there.. Few weeks ago i rushed and made the mistake and bought the wrong woofer-tweeter combo and i just dont like the sound at all..tweeter is screaming while the woofer simply cand play ok above 2k..i ve crossed them at 3.7Khz...
So currently i am working on a Zaphs project, but i feel bad that my woofers are simply sitting around.my woofer is a Peerless 830657 . Please can you suggest me an - as cheap as possible - tweeter , that it will allow me to cross it to around1.7-2Khz to match better with these woofers?..i want to use them in my workshop where i spend 3-4 hours a week, driven both by a public adress mono amp - 60WRMS ...my box is a 12-13lts sealed.. the hole already made in my bafle for the tweeter is about 7cm.
I'd prefer Peerless-Vifa-Scanspeak tweeter as i can find them easily in Greece.
My current tweeters are Vifa BC25SC06-04 .. bbbrrrrrr ...
Old 4th August 2009, 02:18 PM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Maybe this one http://oaudio.de/Loudspeaker-chassis...W2-800::2.html
But needs a closed cup behind it

But problems you describe could come from xo malfunction
For one, according to Vifa specs its very high sensitivity
Do you use enough attenuation

btw, I can see that Zaph likes that tweeter, or think its ok, and it does look ok
But as said, its measured to be 95db

Maybe you just need to do some more xo work
Old 4th August 2009, 02:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I can suggest a Vifa DX25. Here is what Zaph wrote about it:
"Smooth and extended response at both ends with mild 3dB depression in the whole top octave. Low Fs for a tweeter with no rear chamber. Good CSD. Excellent 2nd order HD above 1.8kHz, very bad 2nd order HD below 1Khz. Cross over 1.8kHz LR4 or 2.5kHz LR2. Very efficient with high power handling."

BTW, are you sure you leveled the tweeter output to the woofer one? There should be many dB of difference.

Ralf
Old 4th August 2009, 02:47 PM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Dont waste too much money on that thing

Heres a design that use the Peerless 6"
http://www.xenophonics.net/indexeng.htm
Old 5th August 2009, 04:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

My own experience Hivi K1 if used below 2.4kHz. Look at zaph's distortion measurements.

el-cheapo.
Old 5th August 2009, 05:49 AM   #6
Dansk is offline Dansk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Vifa

Alternatively the Vifa XT25 is known to be extremely soft sounding, but should not be crossed any lower than 2 kHz.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I think first and foremost you need to try getting the most out of what you already have.

According to Zaphs results the BC25SC06 should be able to cross over decently at 2khz with a 4th order target. Although resonance is at a high ~1400hz it is sufficiently well damped so that it shouldnt't be much of a concern.

Quote:
i just dont like the sound at all..tweeter is screaming
This could infact be the woofer 'screaming' rather then the tweeter. At 3.7khz the woofer is starting to become very peaky and unless that peak is notched out it's going to sound terrible.

Are you able to measure the drivers to see what it is you're hearing?

How are the speakers being positioned? And what's the room like you are listening to them in?
Old 5th August 2009, 01:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

well to be honest and exact, this was a very quick project so many things may not be corectly done... first to be exact, the mid ranges are too shallow and it has low control in bass,and it simply feels that or the woofer cant play ok above 1k-2k or the tweeter is crossed too high..as i understand i ve crossed them too high but from an experiment i made using a simple capacitor to cross the tweeter at 2K, leaving the woofer full range and playing the speakers at very low spl's it has still too shallow mids...so i was thiniking of a tweeter that can play well enough starting from 1.8-2K..i will totaly trow on the system not more than 15Wrms... another thought i made was to use a thole midrange and cross my tweeter higher, about 6-7K but i dont like the idea too much as i think that this will complicate things..
Listen i dont want the best sound out of this, i just want to hear same spl for all frequencies..nice tonal balance.
Last night i made a thorough search in my stuff and i found a pair of Tonsil GDWK 10/80 tweeters..Brand new!!..i must have them for about 7-8 years and never used them...do you know them?perhaps i can use them but i need to cut my baffle more...
Old 5th August 2009, 01:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

http://www.allegro.pl/item702828231_...m.html#gallery

this is the tweeters i found..
Old 5th August 2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Dansk is offline Dansk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Throw away your tweeters and use the little 2' or 2,5' Peerless fullranges as very low crossed tweeters instead. They sound ridiculously good, especially in the midrange, considering their price.

Hide this!Advertise here!