How do I match a woofer and tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Suppose I have studied the resonant freq on tweeter and I find one with appropriate frequency range to match with a woofer in a two-way, then I study the SPL and notice they are different.

I have a project. My two woofers are 86 spl. I plan to use two in parallel. I think I have read that this can boost the spl by 3db.

so my duo then may appear as an 89 spl.

My tweeter is 90spl.

If I install a Baffle compensation circuit and drop the woofer output by 3db, this puts me back at 86 vs 90.

Do I want the tweeter "bright" ? Or should I theoretically go for matched spl and put in an L-Pad to lower the tweeter by 3db ?

Also, if I do not use a zobel on the woofer, I do not quite understand the affect on the midrange as the impedence rises in the area of the XO.

My desired XO point is 3500. I am using some small mid woofers that have usable freq in that range. I plan to use a 2nd order design.

The point of this thread is to understand matching the woofer and tweeter in terms of loudness. I had hoped to focus on this issue.

Hi Anthony

The two woofers in parallel give +6dB. Use the Baffle Diffraction Simulator (BDS) or Edge to guage the final response of your drivers. Usually the tweeter is most sensitive, and needs to be attenuated (a.k.a. "padding"). If you apply full baffle step correction you will lose 6dB sensitivity, though this much compensation is only recommended if your speakers will be free-standing. 4-3 dB is a good compromise in small rooms and/or placement close to the wall.

Impedance peaks can complicate crossover design, but one does not always need to use zobel or similar impedance compensation. This is dependent on the specific design.

Finally, if you can manage, try and get hold of a mic for measuring FR of the drivers in situ. Speaker Workshop is free software that allows you to do a start-to-end CAD design.

HTH :)

From your post you need a good loudness matching at crossover freq. and some people give more importance to speakers being in phase also. So consider R for both at that xover freq. 3K/3.5K for the 2order filter and/plus attenuation of 4dB for the tweeter (if from 90dB > 86dB as you said).:cloud9:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.