Who can cut holes? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2009, 07:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Who can cut holes?

Does anyone know who offers a service where I can send in my baffle and they can cut a custom flush-mount driver hole? I tried it with my circle jig and router, but it takes me forever and I end up scratching the face and it looks ugly. Thanks!
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Look this won't appeal at first, but if you have a basic jigsaw and are prepared to let things get a bit complicated I have found composite baffles work okay.
It means a piece of wood, say 3/4 of an inch with a hole and then a piece that is the thickness of the flange of the driver (1/4" perhaps) with a larger hole etc. Now it does get complicated with a three-way if the drivers have different thickness to the flanges.....
But as the 'Good Book' says "We speak of what we know...." and I built a three-way with this method for my eldest daughter last year. The thing I like is that with a soft setting glue you get a nice well damped front baffle, varying resonances with the varying thicknesses of wood etc. It avoids the flaky edges with routers. In the case above I ended up with three different sections to the front baffle. The 3 separate parts allowed access at different points to the internals and the whole thing was very satifactory........if "imitation/envy is the sincerest form of flattery" I had a "hit" as one of her friends asked if her dad would make one for her and the figure she suggested made me think I should change jobs..... but end of shameless self-promotion!

Hope the description makes sense...good luck.
Jonathan
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You have the equipment to do it, but sounds like maybe not the technique. Persevere What do you mean by scratching baffle - are they painted? If so paint them when it's finished!

If you are having problems with repeatability using the jig, make a template using the jig then use that with a flush trimming bit to make the actual holes. This would also protect the surface of the baffle.

If you are struggling with the template, look at how you are pulling the router when you are doing the circle. There will be a little play in the system so try to keep it even all the way round.
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have always used the jigsaw and router, I simply draw circles and cut free hand. Who can cut circles?, you ask, YOU CAN! Just sneak on it slowly, the results are worth the extra time! BTW, are you using particle or MDF? MDF is a far better all round material, both in ease of use and end result. Particle board can be a bit tricky.
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Haha. Well I can cut perfect holes with the jasper circle jig and the router. It just takes trial and error on another piece of wood to get the proper depth to flush mount the driver. It also takes me many go-arounds to flush-mount the tweeter hole - maybe I should get a wider router bit? I'm using 1/4". I'm using already-painted baffle pieces from parts express and the jasper template leaves fine scratches. Is there a way to prevent scratching instead of painting over them? Speaking of which, do people end up painting the bare-wood on the cut edge after the hole is cut? In my last project, I could see the bare wood in the crevice between the baffle and the driver trim - or should I have made the cutout a tiny bit smaller?

*OR* can anyone recommend a reputable company that provides this service?

Thanks!
Old 2nd August 2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

1/4 inch is far too small! I usually use 1/2 inch but I have just bought a 3/4 inch bit.

You are not trying to flush the whole area are you? You only need to do the edge where the driver sits and a few mm more in towards the centre to make sure. Then cut the hole out.

Put masking tape over the baffle to protect it. If I had pre-painted baffles then yes I would brush paint in the cut edge to match.
Old 2nd August 2009, 05:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

1) Bigger bit.
2) Only buy carbide.
3) Practice.
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Find someone in your area (on cnczone, perhaps) who has a diy CNC router.
One such - Nik Brewer of uber-stealth audio
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I cover the entire baffle with blue painters tape before doing the cuts. This works great for the prefinished baffles from PE or Madisound.

When you finish and the flush mount depth is not deep enough, you can use your router to cut out a circle from any flat piece of wood. Cut it so it just fits into the flush mount hole. Then glue sandpaper to one side and sand out to the desired depth. I have done this a few times with great results.

For example, you cut a 7" diameter flush mount. Set your Jasper size to 7 7/16 inch. With the 1/4" bit, the finished circle will be 6 15/16".

Good luck,
Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!