Effect of changing C but not L in higher order xovers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2009, 02:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Effect of changing C but not L in higher order xovers

When tweeking a higher order xover, what is the effect of changing only C and not L in a tweeter circuit? I know there are formulas for determining the values of each component. Is there a means to evaluate what changes in value of one component might have on the overall filter action? Must both C and L be changed? Say I have a slight dip in response at 2k that I believe can be raised by slightly lowering the corner of the tweeter filter. If I add a small cap in parallel without adjusting the inductor in a 2nd order xover, will that be bad? Will it move the corner of the filter or simply goof up the slope or something else? Is there any way to predict how much the response might change for a given amount of added C? Should I take the trouble to change the inductor proportionately? Tougher to do that!

Peace,
Tom E
Old 2nd August 2009, 02:54 AM   #2
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi
Sounds like you need a free copy of Linear Technologies Spice program. That's what I use when I start to wonder what if.
added link http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/

you could copy this 2 way xover to get started http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...43#post1870843
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Often wondered that myself!

By changing values, there is always a different sound, dunno about you but I always have trouble putting a finger on 'what just happened to that response'! A prog that could predict this would help alot.

I think I know what I just heard, but never really sure why!

Hide this!Advertise here!