Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2003, 08:39 AM   #11
Banned

aside from the aesthetical value, we donīt need much strength in the construction because it doesnīt take any force like a constructive part when building a house. What we need is a sealed box, and not to much resonace in the band the speaker should be used in. The massive block will be possible to seale from inside, and you are enabled to make a part with very thick walls and high mass. Thick walls means good dampening and high mass is advanageous too. I think the problem is to find a really good pieve of wood, else the idea is fine.
Old 7th May 2003, 10:45 AM   #12
Banned

cut with bandsaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0031.jpg (43.8 KB, 358 views)
Old 7th May 2003, 11:20 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default solid wood

Quote:
Originally posted by till
aside from the aesthetical value, we donīt need much strength in the construction because it doesnīt take any force like a constructive part when building a house. What we need is a sealed box, and not to much resonace in the band the speaker should be used in. The massive block will be possible to seale from inside, and you are enabled to make a part with very thick walls and high mass. Thick walls means good dampening and high mass is advanageous too. I think the problem is to find a really good pieve of wood, else the idea is fine.
Well, large books have been written on the selection of the right material with high internal damping. Just taking a large thickness of an unspecified piece of wood will not necessarily lead to better damping. What it will do for sure is shift the vibration frequency of the enclosure up. But I am sure you guys know that, so that is why I assumed this was being done for asthetic reasons.

Jan Didden
Old 7th May 2003, 11:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jared
yes, the main idea was to preserve the incredible color sworls n the growth rings of this particular log. I am not too overly concerned about eh sound quality for a home theatre subwoofer, so long as it is still better than commercial mass market crap. I wold asume that an 80 lb piece of wood would have enough mass to not resonate too strongly in the 10-100hz range?

till - now that I think about it, I have sen the guy who actually vut this og for me do some plunge cutting with his chainsaw and not have it kick back. It is definately not something I want to try.

It is just time tho, so I will give it a shot with a 1 icnh wood drill bit and the drill press. If it splits it will be disapointing, but I can just glue it back together and deal with it.

Hide this!Advertise here!