Capacitor Identification Help Please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

Following on from a previous thread, I've since purchased a multimeter and have tested all components in my tannoy mercury mx-1's. All the components including drivers have continuity except for what looks to me like a capacitor. However, the text written on it does not make any sense to me as it does not have a farad rating. The text reads,

100V

I've attached a pic to show it,

Does anyone know if this is a capacitor and what type I should replace it with? From what I can make out it is connected to the circuit at the +ve terminal of the tweeter.

Thanks in advance
Jon

Attachments

• unkowncomponent.jpg
    unkowncomponent.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 168
No continuity is definitely a bad sign. You should try re-forming the capacitor with a voltage higher than 100V, that will usually restore continuity.

dayton caps are no good, if it were up to me, I'd replace them with Virgin Platinum Capacitors (manufactured by Vestal Inc.) - they are the best money can buy.

pjp said:
No continuity is definitely a bad sign. You should try re-forming the capacitor with a voltage higher than 100V, that will usually restore continuity.

dayton caps are no good, if it were up to me, I'd replace them with Virgin Platinum Capacitors (manufactured by Vestal Inc.) - they are the best money can buy.
Capacitors should NOT have any continuity. Why would you reform a 100v cap with voltages greater than 100v? Do you have any clue of what you're talking about?

Dayton caps are a good bargain, but far from the best.

Here is the king:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.