Thick carpet finish for loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was reading about speaker enclosure damping, where layers of bitumen or felt is sandwiched in the MDF or plywood for the cabinet walls.

Was thinking about using relatively thick and heavy carpet on the exterior, this can be a dual function, both as a finishing as well as damping of the sound.

Wonder if anyone has tried it, and is it effective in damping unwanted sound from the cabinet walls (well braced, of course).

It would sure be a unique looking speaker, if you choose a fancy colour, or a carpet with pattern and designs.

Prevention is better than cure!!

Since you are just planning your build, take all precautions within practical limits to minimise cabinet resonance.

I almost always use carpet finish for my PA speakers. It is called non-woven carpet. I haven't heard these make any difference to cab resonance.

On the other hand, I have seen bitumen sheets make a huge difference, as well as an over layer of 6mm ply and veneer.

Thanks for sharing the experiences with carpeting.

The reason i was thinking of carpeting is two fold. Firstly, it may be an easier finishing method. Secondly, although the bracing helps to reduce resonance, i have read several tests and measurements that suggest there is an astonishing amount of sound radiating from the cabinet walls, even well braced with no obvious flexing modes. Bracing tends to help reduce lower resonances up to 300-400Hz, but there will still be midrange sound from the walls.

Sandwich damping with either bitumen sheet, or just multiple layers of plywood/MDF/ veneer seem effective in reducing this higher frequency sound from the cabinet.

Was just thinking that carpeting the exterior should help, especially if thick carpet is used.

Cheers!

rhapsodee said:
I was reading about speaker enclosure damping, where layers of bitumen or felt is sandwiched in the MDF or plywood for the cabinet walls.

Was thinking about using relatively thick and heavy carpet on the exterior, this can be a dual function, both as a finishing as well as damping of the sound.

Wonder if anyone has tried it, and is it effective in damping unwanted sound from the cabinet walls (well braced, of course).

It would sure be a unique looking speaker, if you choose a fancy colour, or a carpet with pattern and designs.

I did , 20 yrs ago , it works if you can live with the aesthetics .. We used a low pile black , used to cover pro gear and later auto speakers ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.