Monacor SPH-265 and SPH-250CTC opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Came across these drivers when looking for a bit more unusual 10" drivers that might work up to about 800-1000Hz.
The SPH-265 seems like a really good classical paper cone driver, and it's been around for a long time, while SPH-250CTC is a bit more heavy duty.
Did a search here and in google and ended up with almost nothing, mostly only opinions about use as pure woofer or subwoofer, so I would love to hear how they perform in the midrange.

Thought of trying either one of these crossed over to some Neo8 planars and Fountek Neocd smaller tweeter. Drivers will be placed in a box and crossover through a dcx-2496.

hello.
...........found something.
greetings...........

Attachments

• sph265.jpg
    sph265.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 613
Hi,

I've heard both (I own SPH-265), the 250CTC is used in "Monacor Pro Domo" as a side subwoofer and sounds very dry, deep and punchy in this application. SPH-265 is more "hifi" to my taste, but can recommend both. If there is more room I'd consider this SP-12A/302PA also and SP-8/150PRO for better directivity.

Regards, Micha

Thanks very much all for the replies, this is enlightening.

Initially I had some plans on finding a driver no larger than 28-29 cm on the outside, as I have some left over branch-free pinewood that can be used about that wide..but I might go for a completely different box if I find the right driver.

The SPH-265 does seem to have that rise of K3 around 1000hz as so many other drivers, how evident it will be crossed over to the planar is another matter.

I had a look at the SP-8/150 PRO, it measured quite good in Klang&Ton. This PA stuff is the kind I'd like to try, high sensitivity and light cones, only problem is the low frequency extension.

Any further suggestions for a 10-12 inch driver, or maybe 8" (two per speaker) would be welcome. I'd like to try not so common drivers. My price limit is a maximum of 180€ in total.

By the way, in Europe Monacors can be had at a fairly cheap price from http://www.ts-audio.biz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.