Good book on Speaker Building? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2004, 12:25 PM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
Jim85IROC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stamford VT
Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
I guess I have a different take on the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook compared to most.

I had spent a few months researching on the Internet before I bought the book. As I read through the book I realized that I had already learned 90% of what it had to offer. The other 10% was basically useless drivel. It talked about a half dozen or more different ported enclosure designs with equations for each. That's neat and all, but 5 minutes with some free box software is more useful. Likewise with the dozens of crossover alignments. Modeling your crossover with software is more accurate and actually gives you a visual of what you're doing... which for me was a much greater learning tool.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2004, 01:51 PM   #12
gary f is offline gary f  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
gary f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Quebec city
Quote:
_Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook_ edited by John Borwick
This one is indeed very good, althought too theoric sometimes. For me, the greatest learning book is the internet...

F
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2004, 07:14 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Queretaro, Mexico
Default Dickason´s LDC

Hi everybody:

Just consider that some tables to calculate the boxes were having mistypings, that you can detect when there is a discontinuity with near values (up and down).

I notified to Old Colony Sound Labs, those that I detect in edition 4 (I beleive), but I do not know if were corrected.

I copy the values to Excel sheets and ploted them. and was able to correct those wrong data.

Cheers from Querataro (Mexico)
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2004, 07:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Slightly North of Portland
There are two important types of speaker systems that are not very well covered in existing populiar literature; electrostatic speakers and transmittion lines. Transmittion line speakers are well covered on this form. Electrostatics are not in great favor these days. Sanders wrote an interesting construction book, but I believe that I have seen a posting that said his theory was not correct.

There is a lot of good reading listed above. I haven't seen the SAE set, it may contain current information on both the transmittion line and electrostatic speakers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2004, 01:02 AM   #15
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Ron E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA, MN
F4ier has a good list there, starting simple at the top and getting more complex as you go down.

Starting with the Leach Book, you probably ought to have 2+ years of college level math (through diff eq's and LaPlace transforms) before buying, although you might learn some things by checking them out from the library if you are just good with algebra.

The Colloms book "High Performance Loudspeakers" is a bit tough to review. There is some info in there that you can't get from the other books, but I would recommend checking it out from a library over buying it, unless $100 is nothing to you....
__________________
Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works. --Carl Sagan
Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity. —Aldous Huxley
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a good book on speaker design. JayH3 Multi-Way 1 7th June 2008 05:53 AM
FS: Building Valve Amplifier (Book) tomchaoda Swap Meet 3 2nd March 2005 02:03 AM
Book to learn about amp building mlihl Solid State 1 8th January 2005 10:26 AM
Book for basic circuitry in amp building? kneadle Chip Amps 2 8th October 2004 01:26 AM
good driver for speaker building sma Multi-Way 4 24th January 2004 08:44 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:46 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2