dual atc mid xover design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why do you want to use two tweeters? It's completely unnecessary.

If you've got a good crossover design for using one mid and the tweeter, then why not go with that?

Even if you were to wire the two mids together, and create an MTM, there wouldn't really be any point as the tweeter wouldn't be sensitive enough to match the mids output.

You can mount a second tweeter and it won`t but useless, but only if mounted on the backpanel. Opera loudspeakers from Italy do it, if your backwall is at least 1m away of your loudspeakers the effect of the second tweeter will be worth. :) They have started to sell a configuration where they use two tweeters and one midbass, however I have not heard anything of this line yet and cannot comment it.

this is what i currently have
2-ATC 75/150/side
2-SS 9700/side
2-Volt 3143/side
i already have a passive 24db/380hz for woofers and works well BUT when i originally started i had a single mid/hi at 24db/3800hz in a 10x10 listening area and now it is 13.5x22.
So i talked with Chris at Solen and he just sent another mid/hi crossover...hense here i am 2yrs later.
Chris designed all the x-overs and i am not nocking his work but i am wondering about some different cap/designs for the mid/hi only ,maybe if anyone has previously tried such a project they may give some ideas....
I realize the many problems invoved with MTTM,..MTM/SUPER TWEETER or others.
I beleive if someone can build it so can I...DIY
we are all here because we are tired of paying $10-100,000 for someones speakers,maybe one day but not today.
Ever since i seen what a PMC IB1 looked like inside and the cost of the $100 mid/hi in a pair of $10,000 speakers...well i am here building my own and unfortunately, like a 69Dodge Roadrunner with a 440/six pack...I LIKE TO CRANK IT UP ON SUNDAY(LOL)
any help or experience would be appreciated...i would post pics but i am slow on the computer,so if you would like to help you can e-mail and i will send some pics of wher i am at...PM me
I am learning the that there are different caps for different sounds,but have much to learn
thanks john

Mario Pankov said:
You can mount a second tweeter and it won`t but useless, but only if mounted on the backpanel. Opera loudspeakers from Italy do it, if your backwall is at least 1m away of your loudspeakers the effect of the second tweeter will be worth. :) They have started to sell a configuration where they use two tweeters and one midbass, however I have not heard anything of this line yet and cannot comment it.
Hi Mario,I thought about using a pair of Fostex attenuators untill i find my happy point(s) and swapping them out later....this concept(simular to Von Schwiekert,Wilson,Genisisetc.) alows for great levels of clean,clear spl.
I am puchasing a Mark Levinson 333 and 331 to try out and i have a Classe CA300 and Sim Audio Titan for some comparisons(the ATC mids are very picky)

With your apparent goals in mind, the best route for you to go is probably active.

The fact you've got/are going to have all those nice power amps makes this a lot simpler as well.

One benefit of going active is that any sensitivity mismatches become academic. If you're aiming for a system that will deliver good SPLs whilst remaining dynamic, the last thing you want is to waste power into any resistors required for level matching. With an active system you merely adjust the gain of the line level crossover.

There are many virtues to be had by going all active and as there are many websites that have already listed them, I wont bother doing so here.

If you were to use an appropriately designed active crossover using a WWMTM, I'd be surprised if it didn't get you where you wanted to be. If this didn't satisfy then the only route would be pro audio drivers.

I'd recommend using either of the 300 watt amps to drive a pair of the volt bass drivers. The remaining 300 watt amp to drive the paralleled mid domes and then the 100 watt Levinson on the tweeters.

Keep a 4th order LWR acoustic at around 400hz for the bass to mid crossover. Then you're going to want to use the lowest possible frequency that the SS9700 will handle to minimise any lobing created by using the MTM. I'd suggest around 2000hz 4th order acoustic if you really want to hammer them.

Make sure to use a properly configured delay stage(s) to electrically time align the tweeter and the mids.

Make sure to properly compensate for baffle step.

Buy a Behringer ECM8000 microphone and a suitable microphone pre amplifier.

Download

http://www.fesb.hr/~mateljan/arta/

and learn how to use it.

This will let you take measurements of your drive units, this is paramount to achieving a good design.

You're going to need to acquire some software that will allow you to import the data from the measurements you make and allow you to simulate an active crossover based on these.

I also recommend you buy a

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx

This box isn't the final word when it comes to quality, but its dirt cheap for what it does. It's a digital sound processor that will allow you to make a 3 way stereo active crossover.

I don't know the full capabilities of the DCX but loads of people have used it here on DIYaudio, so there will be enough people to answer any questions you might have about using it.

For example, I know the DCX interfaces with a PC, but I don't know the capabilities of the software. Can it be used to take measurements? Can it import measurements you've made with ARTA and arrive at a target acoustic slope? Can it import a transfer function I've designed in LspCAD?

Either way the DCX will allow you to easily experiment with different crossovers at the touch of a button. Once you have come up with a crossover you're happy with, then there are much more expensive DSP units that can do the same thing for better quality. Or alternatively you could build an analogue active crossover based on what you arrived at with the DSP, should the digital version be simple enough.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/filters.htm

Has a lot of information on active crossovers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.