What is your experience of Skytronic drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2009, 11:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What is your experience of Skytronic drivers?

Hey folks
I am embarking on a two way horn projects and as I am on a tight budget I am looking at what 1.4" drivers are available out there. I have starting researching the interweb and have come across those Skytronic drivers - does anybody know what they are like? I will look to upgrade to something a little more noble in time, probably vintage, such as Vitavox or Altec, but in the meantime the DIY bug has bitten and I am eager to get going...

Thanks for your thoughts !

Inamelotone
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Skytronic are bad in specs (factory informations) and mechanical/dimensional stability/strenght and terminals are not great, as was before explained by another member the rubber surround is over the holes for the screws. They are very difficult to work with. I'm looking for a better use and (to do) experiences with them, in some of my future applications. I bought some (new) Visatons and Skytronics to measure and to work with. Don't expect to much from them, they can sound good though, after all. Some come with defects and you have to, just, not accept them as an end user. So, don't buy those by mail.

diyAudio Forums - 3 way open baffle with Eminence and Skytronic
3 way open baffle with Eminence and Skytronic
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to activexp Send a message via AIM to activexp Send a message via MSN to activexp Send a message via Yahoo to activexp
I've built a couple of low cost speakers using Skytronic drivers and have been quite pleased with the end results.

Although there aren't any mechanical drawings for the drivers, Thiele-Small parameters are available for the woofers.

Yes, the overall build quality isn't great (thin pressed steel baskets for example) but at the price I have no complaints.

Economy 2-way system with Skytronic 6" Kevlar woofer and silk dome tweeter:-

http://sites.google.com/site/stevess...peaker-project

'Ghetto' IMF Super Compacts with Skytronic 8" Kevlar woofer and silk dome tweeter:-

http://sites.google.com/site/stevess...-supercompacts
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, all food for thought. I will try to see if there is anyone reasonably local that stocks them so I can see for myself...
Good listening in the meantime!

Hide this!Advertise here!