Adire DPL12 vs Shiva? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2003, 10:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Adire DPL12 vs Shiva?

I am thinking I will build a sub on a budget of $200. Enclosure will be 5.35cu.ft. This budget is highly do-able; I have tons of spare plywood, so all I really need is the driver and some binding posts. Have an amp as well. (125WRMS@8-ohm)

So... I was torn between drivers. I looked at just about every single highly publicised 12" woofer around, from Daytons to Peerless. Most were ruled out for being non-linear (in WinISD) or having too high an F3. I am down to the Shiva or DPL12. The DPL12 has an F3 4Hz lower than the Shiva, but does not have as mich XMax or SPL@1W. This sub is for low end impact. Would I be better off using DPL12? I like its extra low end there before starting to trail off... and it doesn't trail off as rapidly as the Shiva. Will it do fine in this environment?
Old 5th May 2003, 11:07 PM   #2
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

The DPL12 looks to be better built, large voice coil, more magnet, and cast basket. And I've heard only the best about this driver. Ig you've got lots of power I'd say go with it. Although on the other hand there are alot of published projects tried and tested with the Shiva, so if you don't feel comfortable designing your own enclosure this might be the better route.
Old 5th May 2003, 11:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, for now, 125WRMS is all the power I have. Maybe when I can afford more, I will build a power amp yielding about 300WRMS. But, that would be later... would require too expensive of a transformer. 125W will get me to decent levels... I have a sub already, so if it mates well, I will get some massive output. I have no problem designing my own enclosure... in fact I just did that in about one hour or less. I think I will go DPL12.
Old 6th May 2003, 04:23 AM   #4
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

For lots of power go for the DPL 12.
I just did a cabinet using the DPL 12 and the DT300.
Even Dan Wiggins was happy with it sealed in the 17X17X20 cabinet.Dan was up for a DIY event at John Chapmans place.
Matched very well for the noodles I did.
The power handling of the Shiva and DPL 12 goes to the DPL 12 100% for sure.
Now the Shiva ,Dan also liked very much in the 14X14X17 Cabinet and recommended giving it a lot more power over the Solen Sub 100 (PE792) the DT300 would do just fine in this combo as well.

Al
Old 7th May 2003, 12:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Agreed - DPL12 is a great driver

Certainly if going sealed, the DPL12 will be the better bet IMO. I've done a DIY sub using this driver and a 300W diy amp - using a real small sealed enclosure (35 litres) and I MAY add some equalization, though in room the extension so far is good.

http://www.massey.ac.nz/~jcmarsha/sub_amp

for links, pictures, and movie of the DPL12 in action

The DPL12 will easily handle the power you through at it - it's a really nicely constructed driver - real binding posts as well. I measured my DPL12 and it agreed extremely closely with it's T/S specs.

Hide this!Advertise here!