Installing phase plugs on Philips drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi :)

I have a couple of questions.

I have a pair of vintage 10" Philips AlNiCo full range drivers and a pair of Planet10's wood phase plugs with 3 screws on the bottom for magnetic mounting.

My original plan was to cut out the dust caps and install the phase plugs, but I recently came across this web page and got me think twice:

Copper cup on Philips pole piece

According to the website, some Philips drivers came with copper cups put on top of pole pieces, and I was wondering if this prevents phase plugs from being installed magnetically.

My drivers have loosely woven (partially see-through, slightly convex rather than concave as in the website example) dust caps, and when I shine white light on dust cap, I think I see copper colour underneath. So I am assuming my drivers also have them.

Someone suggested that the copper cups are probably too thin to affect magnetic mounting, but it would really nice to confirm this.

My second question would be, my drivers are 800 ohm high impedance drivers and I heard they are much more fragile compared to ordinary lower impedance ones. Is it even a good idea to attempt cutting out the dust cap, or would it be too much risk of breaking the fragile (and irreplaceable) voice coils?

Kind regards,
James

Simple. How much do you care about them?

If you care little, go for it, or, even better, get a proffessional to do it for you, then if they mess up, you can claim some form of compensation.

If you care a lot, I, personally, wouldn't do it. You might end up wrecking one of them, so you'd only have one left.

Chris

Any other opinion?

Simple. How much do you care about them?

If you care little, go for it, or, even better, get a proffessional to do it for you, then if they mess up, you can claim some form of compensation.

If you care a lot, I, personally, wouldn't do it. You might end up wrecking one of them, so you'd only have one left.

But how much more sensitive are high impedance drivers compared to ordinary drivers? I need advice from practical experience with this type of drivers, not an in-general advice.

Kind regards,
James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.