In wall home theatre speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Group,
Does anybody have any ideas or sites for in wall home theatre speaker plans as opposed to the pricey ready to wire units? If built correctly, the space between the wall studs seem to be an opportunity for a great box.
I have a 20' X 25" room I am installing a projector in and need speaker suggestions. I am not a big fan of the Boze systems and my big Infinity SM-150 "boxes" are not going to be... ahem, "acceptable"...
Would the pair of 12" coaxial speakers I own be a reasonable starting point for front speakers?

Thanks

Jim

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
While I am no expert, I thought that for Home theater the Left Front/ Center/ Right Front all had to have the same or similar tone and timbre.

Also if the current boxes are not going to meet WAF what are you going to do about the LFE subwoofer??
Query is this a dedicated HT room with soundproofing and offset stud walls? As I was thinking that putting speakers into that sort of wall construction defeats the purpose of the soundproofing.

My SO has just started to complain about my last subwoofer box after years of being polite and appreciative I seem to have stepped over tha boundary with the last one so I appreciate the constraints you have to work under.

I'm not so sure about using the wallspace as the chamber for the speaker, most walls that I've seen are fairly resonant. However, perhaps you could build the box into the wall if enough space exists or even better if there was free space behind the wall in question (similar to how an infinite baffle subwoofer would be constructed).

As far as tonal matching of home theatre speakers - will going to extremes with this -really- make a difference when other much greater factors such as imperfect placement, listening position and other room acoustics are taken into consideration?

I am not dedicating the room to HT as it will also serve as a family room. The back of the wall is an outside wall of the house. Should I be concerned about entertaining the neighbors or should a solid construction of added panels and insulation mute the effects?
(I should not have a great deal of opposition to the subwoofer).
What would be optimum enclosure dimensions for a 12 or 10 inch coaxial speaker in this space, barring any TS math. I was thinking of bracing off the 5 1/2 X 14 1/2 X 93 inch tall space (roughly 2.3 cubic feet) toward the top and bottom to make it smaller for rough tuning

Thanks again

Jim

2.3 cubic feet is more than enough for most drivers. What I would be most worried about is having adequate depth to mount the drivers and being able to sercurely brace the space you were going to use as the chamber.

I've always wondered about using electrostats to hang on the wall in a HT room. Ever considered this?

Bracing should not be a problem and I will check the depth but I am more concerned about the volume.
I like your idea and thanks for the suggestion, but a horn is DEFINITELY not going to work.
I am leaning toward co-axials because I already have them and they are a quality unit with a larger cone woof, with it and the tweet in one space.
(Also, if I could afford stats this would be a completely different discussion).

Thanks

Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.