Not Another Unity Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've spent a few years studying horns and waveguides, and I've posted a couple Unity horn projects online. (A Unity horn is an invention by Tom Danley that mimics a "point source", which is basically the Holy Grail of audio. A point source eliminates many of the hurdles to achieving good sound from a speaker.)

One unusual aspect to my Unity horns is that they're in my CAR :p

I haven't published any home designs, because if I wanted a Unity horn in my house, I'd just go and buy one. The commercial offerings from Yorkville, DSL, and SPL are well worth the money.

Having said that, I frequently receive questions in my email that go like this:

#1 - Can't you make it smaller?
#2 - Why is it on the dash? Can't you put it in the kick panels?

IMHO, a big waveguide on the dash is the ultimate solution. But it's not the only solution, so I thought I'd explore these two questions in this thread. Instead of posting on diymobileaudio I'm publishing the project here, because the concepts we'll explore are applicable to home loudspeakers.

Once the project is finished, I'll demonstrate how you can get some of the Unity Horn Magic (tm) without actually building a Unity horn.

If anyone wants to review my previous Unity horn experiments, here's the URLs:

My first real stab at a Unity horn, in 2006. Sounded excellent, but was hampered by a poorly engineered midrange solution.
http://audiogroupforum.com/csforum/showthread.php?t=62789

My second try. In this thread I re-engineered the design from 2006, and fixed the deficient midranges. The designer of the Unity horn also revealed some secrets about the design.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117537&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Here's where I actually applied what I learned from the 2nd thread. I've been refining this Unity waveguide for a few months now.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio/60146-creating-perfect-soundstage.html

OK, the goal of this thread is to get some "Unity goodness" without building a Unity horn.

The "secret sauce" is a trick that Andy from JBL showed me a couple of weeks ago, a method of controlling directivity WITHOUT using a waveguide.

Here's where Andy showed the trick:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio/62160-new-myth-truth-3.html#post781746

It's a lengthy read, but it boils down to this:

The polar response of a loudspeaker array narrows at certain frequencies. Normally, this is a very VERY bad thing. BUT we can use it to our advantage, by spacing the elements to narrow the response in a calculated way.

Using the math from the JBL article, I created a horizontal array with a waveguide and a midrange. In a Unity horn the midranges are ON the waveguide. In this design, they're NEXT to the waveguide. Normally a horizontal array is a terrible idea. Let's see how it works here...

misco-baffle-1.jpg

Here's a pic of our array, head-on. Note the midrange output is coming from a frustrum, just like a synergy horn. This gets us a bandpass response, without using a crossover. It also lets us get the midrange very close to the tweeter. (Always a good thing.)

misco-baffle-2.jpg

The back of the baffle. That's my fav compression driver, the BMS 4540ND. The woofer is a Misco JC5RTF, a closed back midrange driver.

misco-baffle-3.jpg

Side view.

misco-baffle-4.jpg

A detail of the ports. They're 2.25" apart. It would have been nice if I could have spread them out further, but I couldn't do it without creating a second baffle, the woofer is just too small. Another option would be using two woofers, or even four.

2.25" corresponds to 6khz; that will be important for our calculations.

Also note the ports are a frustrum, like in the Synergy horn. In the Synergy horn the frustrum goes the other way (ie, bigger on the inside, not the outside.)

Either way will work; I did it this way because it reduces port turbulence. Smaller holes on the outside are good in a Unity horn, because they reduce reflections off the compression driver. Not a problem here, because they're spaced 5" apart.

Here's the measured polar response of the device. Let's start with the midranges:

misco-polar-1.jpg

Red is on axis. Green is 22.5 degrees off axis. Violet is 45 degrees off axis.

What we see is well...

They all look identical. Hmm...

I didn't expect that, I was hoping for some directivity. The response narrows at 6khz and 1400hz, but not at 3khz, where we would expect it to.

Here's my hunch -

Because of the bandpass box, the response is falling off by 1500hz. So the phase response is changing, and that's making our directivity difficult to predict.

The solution?

Space the holes further apart, so the response narrows where the woofer has plenty of output. For instance, space the holes six inches apart, instead of 2.25" apart. That will create a 90 degree lobe at 1200hz instead of 3000hz.

misco-sim-1.jpg

Here's a simulation with the holes 2.25" apart. Note that it's omnidirectional from 2khz and down. Above that point, the on-axis response begins to narrow, with a 90 degree lobe at 3khz.

misco-sim-2.jpg

Same sim as above, but now the holes are six inches apart. Now the response is narrowing dramatically in our passband, with a 90 degree lobe at 1125hz. There's also a big peak off-axis at 2250hz, but that won't affect us much. It's off axis AND it's 18db down. It will be masked by the output from our tweeter.

misco-polar-2.jpg

If anyone is interested, here's the polar response of the BMS compression driver on the MCM waveguide. It's nothing to write home about, the MCM waveguide isn't anything special. I used it because it fit.

misco-polar-3.jpg

Here are both on the same graph. The Misco has silly efficiency in a bandpass box. On a baffle it's efficiency is 90db, but it appears to jump to 102db in a bandpass box. The BMS has an efficiency of 114db.

I should get the voltmeter and figure out exactly how efficient it is, but I am too lazy :)

Based on the previous experiment, I'm going to take a second stab at it.

The first one only took about 3 hours to build and measure, so hopefully I'll be able to post results in the next day or two.

Here's how we'll make this better:

#1 - Get rid of that crummy MCM waveguide. The new waveguide will have a coverage angle of 120 degrees wide by 60 degrees tall. (An average of 90 degrees.)

#2 - Use a dome tweeter. I'll use a Vifa XT19 because it's small enough to put it right on top of the Misco midrange. Even the tiny BMS compression driver will be difficult to mount that close.

#3 - Move the holes 6" apart instead of 2.25" apart. That will create a 90 degree lobe at 1200hz, right where we want it.

#4 - Make it coaxial. A coaxial arrangement improves the off-axis response.

misco-baffle-med.jpg

Here's an illustration of how it will look. The top is the front view, the bottom is the side view. Basically it's a Misco woofer in a bandpass enclosure, with a dome tweeter mounted on top, and a waveguide controlling directivity on the dome.

Re: Me thinks you are on the right track

mwmkravchenko said:
This I'm keeping tabs on. You are one tenacious dude Patrick.

Mark

Mark, it's Bateman.

Patrick Bateman.

You're my lawyer so I think you should know - I've built a lot of speakers. Some two-ways, in an apartment uptown, some horns, maybe five or ten, a waveguide I made in Tacoma. I left her in a garage, near Lake Oswego. I finished my last subwoofer in black.

I guess I've built 20 speakers, maybe 40.

Tonight I just, well, I had to build a lot of speakers and I'm not
sure I 'm going to get away with it this time - I mean I guess
I'm a pretty sick guy.

So - if you get back tomorrow, I may show
up at Harry's Bar, so, you know, keep your eyes open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yflWuv8n6E

Me thinks the idiot box has some sort of contagion

LOL :D :D :D
To much time in front of the boob tube can kill brain cells!

Making speakers is good therapy. Just stay clear from sharp implements. Although from the looks of some of the holes for the midrange you have been banned from sharp tools already.

;)

Mark

P.S. Not to be taken to seriously obsessive compulsive cabinet maker speaking.

Hey John (err Patrick)

You are one tenaciuos dude!! It all looks like you cut the wood with a chain saw ;) , but hey, its the concept that counts!

I did several paper studies of four woofers at the corners of an elliptical waveguide, even had them pointing in variuos directions. Had some pros and cons. Cons were mostly complexity - I hate complexity! If it ain't simple, it ain't done. I chuckle at these four-way systems with active crossovers, etc. - what a nightmare. But anyways, I can follow your thoughts and I am intrigued.

Still driving the Honda Accord 2-door? I still have mine V-6, 2-door, of course. 180,000 miles and still runs like a clock. Still has the foctory stereo though - I guess I got burned out on car audio.

Patrick Bateman, were you ever able to get good imaging in the car?
I tried to use waveguides in various ways, and could not ever achieve in front of the driver imaging. sound is pretty much like from headphones.
attached image is my final car speaker iteration. since I found that waveguides' location doesn't matter, they will be installed in the doors.

Attachments

• 19072009.jpg
    19072009.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 635
Patrick.. I applaud your diligence.. but sometimes I hate being the rain on the sunny day..

I have sit in more/built more sq cars than I care to count.. everything from very simplistic door mounted applications to full rebuilds..

And out of everything.. an I mean everything .. boils down to minimizing PLD's and getting away from the dash/windshield..

So what I am getting at, is that after all your hard work and time.. more than likely a kick panel approach with the aid of a little tuning will yield a better result

trusound said:
Patrick.. I applaud your diligence.. but sometimes I hate being the rain on the sunny day..

I have sit in more/built more sq cars than I care to count.. everything from very simplistic door mounted applications to full rebuilds..

And out of everything.. an I mean everything .. boils down to minimizing PLD's and getting away from the dash/windshield..

So what I am getting at, is that after all your hard work and time.. more than likely a kick panel approach with the aid of a little tuning will yield a better result

If you put a speaker an inch away from any hard surface, you'll get reflections at 14khz, 7khz, and 3500hz. It doesn't matter if it's a window or a wall, whatever. Reflections are going to happen.

So the trick with putting speakers on the dash, or near the windows, is to take those reflections into account. If you can minimize the distance between the speaker and the windshield, you can drive those reflections up to 20khz, where they're inaudible.

So the main reason that so many installers skip the dash is that it's a difficult place to mount speakers... but not impossible.

And the rewards are great; the only way to get a soundstage that's at ear level is to put the speakers at ear level.

Kick panels are always a compromise, because the reflections off the floor and the doors create audible cues of their location.

Controlled directivity would minimize those cues.

Which is what this project is all about. It *will* be going in the kick panels.

It's not my first choice, but it's what people prefer.

Patrick Bateman said:

If you put a speaker an inch away from any hard surface, you'll get reflections at 14khz, 7khz, and 3500hz. It doesn't matter if it's a window or a wall, whatever. Reflections are going to happen.

Agreed..

Patrick Bateman said:

So the main reason that so many installers skip the dash is that it's a difficult place to mount speakers... but not impossible.

agreed as well.. but myself along with a large group of insanely talented installers have done full rebuilds.. having the car as an open pallet along with integration into factory surroundings.. this is a non issue for us

Patrick Bateman said:

And the rewards are great; the only way to get a soundstage that's at ear level is to put the speakers at ear level.

this is a very incorrect statement.. plenty of vehicles with kick panel or lower door mounted drivers are able to obtain eye level stage height..

Patrick Bateman said:

Kick panels are always a compromise, because the reflections off the floor and the doors create audible cues of their location.

these are minimial, in retrospect to dash mounted drivers this is a moot point IMO

Patrick Bateman said:

Controlled directivity would minimize those cues.

I can see CD being of great benefit.. but I feel that minimizing PLD's and minimizing tactile energy transfer will yield better performance...

you get this done and once you have obtained what you want out of it.. I would be happly to travel and compare...

Crap.

I have been following your threads both here and at diyma.

Don't you have a 6spd? The problems I have had in the past with kick panel locations is the clutch pedal interference. I am still very intrigued to see what comes of this and will be watching where ever the updates will happen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.