Refurbishing Polk RTA 12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A buddy of mine has had a pair for many a moon and told me recently that they have lost something and don't sound as good as they used to. He hates the idea of parting with them and has even considered storing until he figures out what to do.
He is going to check and see if the surrounds are damaged or if there are any other obvious signs of wear that is causing this lack of performance.

What are his options to bring these back to life? Were the RTA 12's fantastic enough to make going with OEM replacement worth it or would it be an upgrade to use different drivers? Are OEM drivers even still available? He is a bit of an Audio Enthusiast but is too busy these days to tinker like he used to.

I searched for Polk RTA and didn't find any reference to the 12's.

The RTA 12 are nice speakers. My brother owns a pair of the RTA 12C, and I am sure they are well worth the effort to refurbish them. Your best resource is the Polk Audio forum. They have a special area for older models:
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Folks on Polk Audio are very friendly & helpful. Polk still sells many of the drivers and parts for its obsolete models.

Cheers, Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.