FEM/BEM software for OSX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any competent FEM/BEM software packages available for the Mac OSX platform? I'm specifically interested in acoustic and electro/mechanical analysis.

I know Mige0 has had great success with the AxiDriver software, however thats only available on Windows.

Thanks,
Thadman

thadman said:
Are there any competent FEM/BEM software packages available for the Mac OSX platform? I'm specifically interested in acoustic and electro/mechanical analysis.

I know Mige0 has had great success with the AxiDriver software, however thats only available on Windows.

Thanks,
Thadman

It depends on how able you are at using a computer. The Mac has an advantage over Windows PCs in using a unix-based OS and so if you install the X stuff from the installation CD you can compile up and run pretty much all the scientific software that runs on Linux. However, you may have to understand and fix a few "programmy" things which may defeat those unfamiliar with using a computer as tool for, well, computing.

If you do this then a range of 3D packages will become freely available to use like, for example:

http://www.csc.fi/english/pages/elmer/examples

but their are plenty of other scientific packages around if you know where to look. This particularly applies to Americans who can freely access (sometimes for the cost of the media) research software that has been funded by government grants and which non-Americans cannot access. I believe this is due to one of those open/freedom things that much of the world admires in America.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.