Midrange selection: Dayton RS52 vs. Peerless HDS 832873

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to decide on a midrange for my 3-way loudspeaker. It will consist of:

-Vifa D26NC55 tweeter (sealed)

-undecided midrange (sealed)

-Dayton Reference woofer, 8" or possibly 10" (bass reflex)

-200hz/4000hz LR2 crossover

The thing is, the Peerless HDS has an excellent response curve, staying within about 2dB from 100-7000hz. That nice high response lets me safely use a LR2 at 4000hz. Also, the HDS has great power handling, upwards of 100w RMS.

However, the Dayton RS52 also has great, flat response.

I am wondering if there would be any advantage in sound quality to go with a dome midrange over a cone midrange?

thank you!

I really like dome midranges they sound different to be sure than most heavier cone midranges that I've heard. Dome mids sound to my ears a little more delicate and sweeter (soft treated mid domes). Here is a 3 way project that uses them and the crossover can be tweaked to use dual 8". The crossover is close to your target crossover points ( 2nd order at 850 and 4th order at 3500) The designer uses high order upper crossover to tame the RS52 HF resonance (metal dome mid).
link http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html

Hey!
I can make suggestion only about midrange. I am building 3 way system and have tested so far some mids:
-Vifa P13
-AUdax130
-Vifa PL14

I have crossed them all 2500hz with tweet 910821. So far it sound best to ears last combination with PL14. It is truly very musical, high end is very good and even it can pretty low. I need a crossover about 200Hz so thats why it works fo me very well. P13 does not have bass at all and its not so musical, littlevit muddy..:)
Audax is also good. I have listed drivers at least a month for each of them, it just takes time to notice all details! I prefer PL14.

A DAYTON RS150 OR RS125 or RS100 for mid ?

Of the RS drivers I like the RS225, RS100, and RS28. Don't care for the 125 looking at the charts - haven't heard it though.

Have seen several people that have done lots of building/testing/listening to speakers seem to really like the Peerless 832873.

Have seen some comments not liking the RS52 - I have heard designs in which I did not care for it either. I have not heard well respected designs such as Zaphs, which use the RS52, however.

Some of the best liked speakers use the Morel MDM55, have not heard the same negative comments about that as I have about the RS52.

I would like to hear the RS52 however, as it seems like a good value, well made.

Seems like the Peerless 832873 and the (relatively) new RS28F could be a very nice combination crossed 2nd order below 2Khz :)

A few different models of Peerless Nomex woofers seem to have made it into various veteran speaker guys favorite speakers (one reason why I bought a case of 10 of both the 5.25" and 6.5" ones when I found them at bargain "buyout" prices). I'm still pondering speaker design ideas and have a few of my first test boxes built - once the weather gets warmer, I'll get back into building...

...Problems being the mismatched driver directivity around the crossover region:D

Some people have been trying the RS28F in waveguides with good results - you can see over on the techtalk board, or, look at Mark K's "Audio Heuristics" web page...

...PL14. It is truly very musical, high end is very good and even it can pretty low....I prefer PL14.

Hmm, how about the PL11?

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/299-227s.pdf

Last edited:
This Tang Band may also be suitable for the original crossover points intended:

Parts-Express.com:Tang Band W4-1337SD 4" Titanium Driver | full range driver 4" woofer extended range driver tang band tb speakers tangband-41108

Good wide range, as used in the "Statements" DIY 3-way design :)

Statements

I use the Dayton RS52. I think it sounds great, very 'fast' and also very convincing on female vocals especially. Must be crossed more like 800Hz though, which means a lot of metal cone woofers will need active notch filters to control breakups in order to meet it. I use an M8a with active 24dB LR and notch filtering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.