trying to find the link to a dutch diffusor build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hope you can help

I have lost the link. It is in dutch (ie need babelfish) and is a record of the room reno using heaps and heaps of diffusers, something like a few tons of mdf used!

Lots of pics within it, which makes up for the babelfish translation I guess.

Room treatment is for me now, and hence the wish to find that link again.

thanks for your help on it.

no it's not unfortunately, BUT there are some lovely rooms, so thanks anyway!! Will steal some of them, have started a few threads on 'post pics of beautiful listening rooms', and some of those are more than worthy candidates.

whilst having a quick look, and a thought popped into my head.

Understandably, most of us here (due to english being the language used) only really are aware of english audio sites. Obviously somewhere I came across this dutch one I'm thinking of, but really we are not exposed to an awful lot of non-english sites which I presume must exist?

Having said that, I am sure due to the international nature of the site, a lot of people here would not only know the english sites, but many sites in other languages. Pictures can communicate without words you know!!

Wonder if that is a good idea for a seperate thread?? hmmm 'Give us nice non-english sites that we have probably not come across before...'

Anyway, as far as I remember, the site I am talking about was pretty full on, heaps and heaps of pics, and massive approach to diffusion.

thanks for the link...got any other nice ones not in english??

nah, full on fractal diffusors, almost every surface was covered. Made out of mdf, tons of it literally.

Thought this could have been the one, but it was not a link, just a pic (from the link above)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hmm, don't know what I did wrong, the pic is not in the post. Oh well, that is the look of this site I'm talking about

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Yeah; I had instructions for calculating fractal diffusers "Somewhere" I can't find it now, this is another of those times I should have not tried to save the planet and printed off the full 50 or so pages.
I just searched under building Fractal Diffusers and got very little.

You could do the 60s thing and just use egg cartons, I have had success using the polyethylene packers that big screen TVs come in, when used to cover 55% or more of a roof they are for all intents and purposes random,

Those are one dimensional quadratic residue diffusors. As built they diffuse strongly in a plane parallel to the floor. Those can be built in 2 dimensions and there are commercial products which do so.

I think the LEDE concept with a dead end behind the speakers and a live but diffusive end behind the listener is more accepted than a purely diffusive environment, but I think it would nonetheless be interesting to experience it.

I'm not too keen on difractals.

I like circles or the bowed out walls.

I had luck with 12" cardboard sonotubes (4' long for $5 each 4 years ago) in a room with brick walls.

Talking at a fractal sounds horrible to me compared with talking at a pilar.

http://www.jdbsound.com/discus/messages/5/980.html
"I'm in a CCM band and the practice room which a local church allows us to use was origanly meant to be an aerobics room. 40 By 25 parallel walls, wood floor, low flat ceiling and one whole wall is a mirror. It pretty well breaks every rule imaginable for good acoustics. We have been rehersing there for a couple of years so when I showed up for practice one day with a bunch of sonotubes cut in half and screwed to poles the group was looking at me like I had really lost it this time. Well I stood them up all around the room with really no expertise other than what I had read and seen on Joes website and his book. I was hoping someone in the group would notice at least a little diference, just to save face as I was begining to be the running joke for the day. The results were astounding the ladies of the group said this was the first time they were able to hear their vocals in practice. I didn't think they would notice no matter big the improvment. But it was drastic. The drummer thought we had turned him down because the drums were somuch more refined sounding. The biggest difference was the clarity and punch of the bass. That was about as much fun as Ive had for about a hundred bucks in a while. Joe told me to go try it in my church now. I'm going to take him up on that and I'll let you all know the results Thanks Joe for the best site on the web
Dave Roberts "

http://churchdesignconstruction.blogspot.com/2007/08/cheap-fix-for-acoustical-problems.html

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...mages?q=%2Bchurch%2Bacoustics&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

Just something cheap to play with instead of the actual asc diffusors..............

Norman

Ron E said:
Those are one dimensional quadratic residue diffusors. As built they diffuse strongly in a plane parallel to the floor. Those can be built in 2 dimensions and there are commercial products which do so.

I think the LEDE concept with a dead end behind the speakers and a live but diffusive end behind the listener is more accepted than a purely diffusive environment, but I think it would nonetheless be interesting to experience it.

Hmm, don't think I showed the pic of my current state of experiments?? (it's good that this is taking off a bit, it is what I need to investigate)

anyway, here are the pics

100_6068.jpg

100_6062.jpg

100_6067.jpg

You've heard the advice of just throw an unopened bag of f/glass in the corner and try? I did that and more, just hung raw f/glass on string to do a test.

Almost entirely only the front of the room, so the LEDE. lots of improvement BTW, my room is large and quite ringy.

But I do very strongly get the idea that it would be very easy to overdamp, hence checking out diffusion.

We need the f/glass anyway for real insulation, so I took the opportunity to experiment. Very easy to throw batts around, not so easy to test diffusion is it!! (Just WHERE did I put those spare diffusors that just happen to be laying around somewhere?)

So will look at all the links tonight, thanks.

MD, as I understand it LEDE and RFZ are kinda in the same family, and avoid reflections from the front of the room. early days in my learning curve tho, so nothing I say is to be taken as gospel.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Terry, I would not be too keen on raw FG thrown around the room that way.
loose fibers get into my lungs too easily, but the general idea is very "sound" I'd be making up frames from 135 * 20mm pine or plywood, stretching fine cloth over the frame to contain the FG also would look more refined, sort of open-sided bass traps. There have been some good plans for round bass traps for corners built using wire mesh and a mix of FG and poly, FG on the inside and poly on the outside of the wire mesh frame all neatly covered with fabric and a nice table top to put your cold beer on

Here I have been using cheap poly doonas from K-Mart, skillfully and carefully hidden behind some old mesh curtains that SWMBO absolutely hates.

Moondog55 said:
Terry here is a commercial product, I had instructions on how to build these using MDF or pine 4 * 2, still can't find them

http://www.esoundproof.com/Screens/Products/Diffusion Products/DiffusionHomePage.aspx

Ted

Hi Ted, I hate it when you cannot find prices!! Any idea at all on the price of those skylines?? (thanks for the link btw)

TBH raw f/glass does not scare me, Perhaps I am an idiot, but hey that's nothing new!

Cutting, sawing etc then yeah, different story. Just sitting there, brand new out of the pack? No, not too worried.

In any case a quick temporary experiment.

EDIT thanks CLS, good ideas for different looks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.