A 8 incher with a paper cone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for an 8 inch woofer/driver for a 2 way design. I stumbled onto the Audax HM210G0 years ago, used it for a 2 way design and was delighted with the sound. Today, sadly, the Audax is no longer available.
What I am looking for is something suitable for BR design (Qts < .4) and that can be crossed over at 2K or higher. I find that paper cones just sound better and any cone breakups at HF are easier to deal with, compared to the exotic materials of today. Did I say that price is an issue? Something under $150.00USD would be nice......Ideas??

Inductor said:
For about ~1/2 the price of the Seas and Perless you have the studio edition Beyma 8BR40, 90dB with a copper voice coil and Le=0.7mH.

???

Beyma: Item Price: $65.99 New Low Price

....http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma 8BR40-1.htm

Peerless 8" HDS Nomex: $58.75

....http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1614

For a little less than the price of the Beyma you could have the Peerless HDS Nomex woofer. Did I miss something? Is that price for the Beyma for TWO woofers???

But, the Beyma does indeed look more like the old classic 8" paper speaker woofer found in inexpensive but fun to listen to 2-way bookshelf speakers, like the ones I used to have from the late/mid 1970's that I loved so much myself.

Attachments

• vb response silver flute w20rc38-8.gif
    vb response silver flute w20rc38-8.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,142
If the box size is not a problem I suggest you a 6,5"

Monacor SPH170

You can cross above 3000/3500Hz without problem

The bass is more better than Beyma 8BR40 ( it´s only a good midbass, but forget deep bass)

The SPH170 have more deep and controled bass in 40 liters than more 8", the sound is more similar to paper cones than polypropilene and you can cross with 1st or 2nd orden crossover, then you have many tweeters options

With an 0,82 or 1 mH it can be easy compensated BaffleStep

( and Yes, I read thath you are searching an 8", sorry for the intromission) :)

Attachments

• g100110k.jpg
    g100110k.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 938
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
MJS said:

Monacor SPH170

Funny that the new and probably better SPH-176 is cheaper

I plan to try the SPH-176 in a pair of Lowther horns I have in the garage
I will use some very cheap cone tweeters

But I dont think Monacor is available in US

Which reminds me of Jantzen JA8008
They are sold in US
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JA8008.htm
http://www.e-speakers.com/-strse-357/JANTZEN-JA-dsh-8008/Detail.bok

Tangbands latest underhung midwoofers with good Xmax, shortrings etc, could be a cheap alternative

MJS said:

Monacor SPH170

You can cross above 3000/3500Hz without problem

The bass is more better than Beyma 8BR40 ( it´s only a good midbass, but forget deep bass)

The SPH170 have more deep and controled bass in 40 liters than more 8", the sound is more similar to paper cones than polypropilene and you can cross with 1st or 2nd orden crossover, then you have many tweeters options

With an 0,82 or 1 mH it can be easy compensated BaffleStep

( and Yes, I read thath you are searching an 8", sorry for the intromission) :)

Did you test the Beyma in a closed box?
What kind of surround is on this speaker, SPH170 (I get conflicted information)?

Also on my list of reference 8" drivers are:
The Volt studio range BM220.8 (plastic cone w/min. colouration, price?)
Vifa 21WN 340/8 (~93,00 Euro)
Note: also consider the Visaton GF 200 2 x 4 OHM (not paper). After all I believe you will find the best paper cone of all.

Yes, and old project with 8BR40 and Monacor SPH60 X (FullRange) crossed at 300 Hz in a 25/30 liters closed box, the bass is not deep, a very nice sound about 100 Hz, very good midbass from 100Hz to 400/500 Hz but no more

Depending on yours probably you need a Sub

I have lost the measurements in a PC change, sorry

I like very much the sound of paper´s cones, in a four way system the 8BR40 it will be one of the first drivers but no more, the surround is good (sorry for my english, i think is called rubber surround)

I´m spanish, its easy for me buy Beyma drivers but i had many deceptions with this drivers, please consider other options or you will need a Sub or other driver

An 8" for a two way is always a difficult decission, usually it´s possible but you may consider the dificulties of crossover

Regards

Have you checked out the Seas p 21 rf/p (h511) ? I know you wanted paper and this ones poly but its flat out to 2k and can be crossed as high as 3k :D And as always there is the seas build quality, plus in a 1.2 cu ft box you'll get a f3 of 40hz. Not bad for one driver and on special at madisound 59.00 ea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.