A 8 incher with a paper cone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gowa -

Its past incarnation, the Seas 23F-EW, was a very nice woofer in the very alignment mentioned in the link. Its replacement, while very expensive, looks excellent. I would recommend nothing more than a simple high pass on the tweeter, as this was the suggestion of the technician at Madisound. A Morel MDT-20 was very nice rolled-in at ~2 KHz.

Regards,

Karl

Karl71 said:
Gowa -

Its past incarnation, the Seas 23F-EW, was a very nice woofer in the very alignment mentioned in the link. Its replacement, while very expensive, looks excellent. I would recommend nothing more than a simple high pass on the tweeter, as this was the suggestion of the technician at Madisound. A Morel MDT-20 was very nice rolled-in at ~2 KHz.

Regards,

Karl

Ooooh, sooo tempting.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
GOWA said:

Ooooh, sooo tempting.

Sure is
I was about to order a pair of cheap but nice looking 12" ACI sub driver
My first subs
But after calculating amps and all I got second thoughts
I would much rather use the money on a fun project with this 10"

In my youth a friend had a 2way with 10" and it was quite impressive
I never could understand how it worked
Today, I think it was a Dynaco kit or clone

I have a small 3way monitor i the works, and have all drivers
If not I would try this 10" instead

Gowa and Tinitus -

As I read this thread, I am becoming tempted to try the Seas again, despite the costs involved. :D

The Seas 25F-EW is a very smooth driver, and assuming the replacement retains the response characteristics and nice roll-off, you two will be very pleased. A friend of mine who has been designing and building ESL panels for years tried these mated with his own units and a pair of Quads to great effect.

Any recommedations on the tweeter for this go-around? I'm considering another Morel, one of the top-end Scan-Speak Revelator tweeters, or the Vifa ring radiator.

Regards,

Karl

tinitus said:
even if woofers own rolloff is used without lowpass xo, you still have to mate the tweeter rolloff

I agree. However, if the resonance frequency is sufficiently low and the crossover point is reasonably high, it shouldn't be an issue. That's why I would shoot for a crossover frequency between 1500 and 2000 Khz. Of course, lower is always better, but then we would need a steeper filter than a first-order high pass. Personally, 1000 to 1200 would be wonderful, but a fourth- order would be necessary with most tweeters I would consider.

Here's another idea: the Hiquophon OWI crossed at 2000 Khz with a fourth-order. The better dispersion of a 3/4" dome matched with a large woofer is tempting. :)

Regards,

Karl

How great is demand for little waveguide in tweeter? I think tweeter must be crossed at 3000 Hz if 1st slope is used. No lowpass XO and 1st degree high pass may give best phase?
(you can start a new thread) The xover is not the same as the phase you mention. It can be a 1order (what sometimes makes things easier) and if not in phase with the woofer, or a 180 (90-90) phase shift can kill it. The phase you mention is in relation to (something) where the phase of the woofer is. No phase (shift between the two in frequency) the better. So if a (for ex.) 3. order and in (they are in) phase (phase coherent between wo and tw on the xover freq. band) the better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.