Peerless HDS Tweeter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2009, 09:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless HDS Tweeter

Hello everyone ,

I bought HDS tweeter 1 year ago but it was never installed. Now I plan to use it in an application where the HP crossover needs to be around 2000Hz.

What is the lowest healthy crossover point you can have with the HDS-tweeter, provided only 12dB (electrical) filter ?

http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/printview.php?id=170

Any comment much appreciated

P.S, above link to datasheet is old one. - Now I could actually not find the HDS datasheet on Tympany's HP? (... strange...)

LageB
Old 7th July 2009, 01:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can test it in that (2k/12dB) xover range with no problem (Fs=700Hz for the HDS tweeter).
Old 7th July 2009, 03:14 PM   #3
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

2kHz for this tweeter is just fine, I use mine down to 1.5kHz.

The Peerless 810921 is now the Scan-Speak D2608/913000, see here at the bottom of the page.

Also, measurements here.
Old 7th July 2009, 07:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Inductor & DcebeL - your input is very encouraging.

To DcebeL: Is your 1.5KHz xo-filter also only 2:nd order 12dB?? If so, the HDS tweeter must be indeed flexible - but, I guess you are careful not to crank up the volume too much then.. or..?

LageB

P.S Thanks for the info of name & brand change to S-S (it was not so easy to find) - I wonder why Tymphany did that?, by the way?
Old 7th July 2009, 08:01 PM   #5
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

My crossover is 4th order acoustic at 1.5kHz, somewhere around 2nd order electrical I'm sure, without looking up the transfer function. The tweeter holds up just fine here, I encourage you to look at the measurement page I linked to above, it is class leading performance.

Scan Speak split from Tymphany a while back and took a few drivers with them from the other brands...As far as I know all the distributors still list it as Peerless 810921.
Old 7th July 2009, 09:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DcibeL

Scan Speak split from Tymphany a while back and took a few drivers with them from the other brands...As far as I know all the distributors still list it as Peerless 810921.
DcibeL,

Ohh, divorce Scan-Speak & Tymphany was totaly news to me while today I learned it was old news (since May?). I have been out of the loop a while it seems.

As for "HDS Tweeter" "the old name" I tend/hope to agree with you i.e what I have read sofar about this element seems, like, almost as good as it gets regardless price The fact that it can be crossed low does not make it less good.....

LageB
Old 7th July 2009, 10:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am also interested in the HDS tweeter for my next all Peerless project. I think it is very good for its price.

From the datasheet, the HDS tweeter is not as flat as something like the SS6600.

I guess the on-axis peak at around 15kHz can be trimmed down, but this could leave a larger dip at around 7kHz. It is not really the easiest to work with.

What do you do with this tweeter?
Old 8th July 2009, 07:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFiNutNut

I guess the on-axis peak at around 15kHz can be trimmed down, but this could leave a larger dip at around 7kHz. It is not really the easiest to work with.

I will be using the HDS tweeter together with Fostex fullrange element acting only as woofer, in a In-Wall application (or "in-bookshelf"). Attached picture below

Planned XO at 2000Hz

I am not concerned of 15KHz peak at all for 2 reasons.

(1) I can hardly hear 15,000Hz when I do test tones
(2) Due to in-wall I will listen off-axis

Click the image to open in full size.

LageB
Old 8th July 2009, 12:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFiNutNut
I am also interested in the HDS tweeter for my next all Peerless project. I think it is very good for its price.

From the datasheet, the HDS tweeter is not as flat as something like the SS6600.

You might consider mounting it in a small waveguide, like I did in my BaSSlines project, below. I did some testing of various DIY waveguides, depths, opening size, radius, etc. The shallow waveguide gives a boost to the lower end that counteracts the rise in response.

DIY waveguide testing

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:44 PM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlneubec
You might consider mounting it in a small waveguide, like I did in my BaSSlines project, below.
could you draw a section through the various waveguides/horns to show how you define the 1/2inch deep + 1/2inch round over.
as different from 3/4inch deep + 3/4inch round over etc.
45degree chamfer - where?
1/2inch deep - where?

Hide this!Advertise here!