Doug's Abbey build (with veneer) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 10:59 PM   #31
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Novi, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
Flat head machine screws epoxied in before veneering the back might work as studs - I would worry about stress on the veneer when tightening though. Then threaded spacers on the inside to make it easy to get a grip on them with an open end or socket wrench.

No big deal - just a thought.

Pete B.
Whats the issue with visible screws on the back? The ones on the front are an issue to me, but not the ones on the back.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 11:14 PM   #32
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Well, they are visible when you walk by, the way I have mine set up. I knew they were going to be, so I tried to make them as insignificant as possible when I built them, but in a perfect world I suppose they would be either invisible or absent. I think it is good to be able to take off the back easily, though, and I wouldn't want to have to remove the grill cloth, woofer and fill just to do that.

- Doug
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 05:01 AM   #33
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member
 
PB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North East
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Whats the issue with visible screws on the back? The ones on the front are an issue to me, but not the ones on the back.
I think Doug answered this.

It looks a bit dated, since 99/100 modern commercial speakers do not have screws showing on the back. Think about it ... furniture does not have screws showing either. I'd have an access panel on the bottom if at all - I've done this before. Even sometimes put the input panel down there. However, it seems you need rear access to the horn in this design.

Pete B.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 05:31 AM   #34
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Novi, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
I think Doug answered this.

It looks a bit dated, since 99/100 modern commercial speakers do not have screws showing on the back. Think about it ... furniture does not have screws showing either. I'd have an access panel on the bottom if at all - I've done this before. Even sometimes put the input panel down there. However, it seems you need rear access to the horn in this design.

Pete B.
There is no way to mount the compression driver except from the back. And when I change the woofer to mount from the back - so that ITS screws don't show, then the entire back will have to be open to achieve this. MOST speakers are built for appearance first and function second. When you put function first, then there are some compromises that might have to be made for appearance. Everything is negotiable. The screws on the back could be elliminated, its simply a matter of cost.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 03:41 PM   #35
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Nice web site Doug.

For me I like to see the foam and the waveguide exit. I've come to dislike seeing the screws on the woofer and thats why the assembling is going to change to hide them. I think that this will improve the looks a great deal. Then I wouldn't even consider a total grill cloth and no foam cutting would be necessary. This is the better approach IMO.
Any updates on hiding the screws on the woofer?


I have hated that forever with many speakers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 06:10 PM   #36
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Va.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSmith View Post
Well, they are visible when you walk by, the way I have mine set up. I knew they were going to be, so I tried to make them as insignificant as possible when I built them, but in a perfect world I suppose they would be either invisible or absent. I think it is good to be able to take off the back easily, though, and I wouldn't want to have to remove the grill cloth, woofer and fill just to do that.

- Doug
If they can't be invisible or absent, and it is functionally better to have them, FLAUNT them.

You can get some nice decorative brass screws and washers like these:

Decorative Washers - Rockler Woodworking Tools
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 10:09 PM   #37
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member
 
PB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North East
Blog Entries: 1
I like black button or pan head allen or security screws, they look more decorative and are usually hardly noticed in black:
Parts-Express.com:*#8-32 x 1-1/4" Black Machine Screw Button Head Security Hex | security screws security hex security screws screw hardware driver

Pete B.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 11:59 PM   #38
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Novi, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20 View Post
Any updates on hiding the screws on the woofer?

Yes, when I run through the parts that I have on hand I will change the design to a screw hidden woofer. Thats why I reduced the prices since the new design will have a higher price.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 12:02 AM   #39
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Novi, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
I like black button or pan head allen or security screws

Pete B.
They are black and if the back is painted black, as I do, the screws are not noticable at all. If the back is not painted black, then yes, the screws will be apparent - so don' do that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 05:08 AM   #40
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ATL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooge View Post
If they can't be invisible or absent, and it is functionally better to have them, FLAUNT them.
Agreed. See, e.g. ur-Audi TT, Herman Miller Eames Chaise Lounge.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matt's Gedlee Summa Abbey Kit Build pjpoes Multi-Way 509 17th August 2011 01:36 AM
F1 or F2...which should I build for an Abbey audionut Full Range 3 28th June 2009 03:56 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:11 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2