Another Peerless 830875 Execution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought I'd post my latest creation (updated links):

http://photos.swinbank.fastmail.net/moser/Peerless27TFFC_1.jpg

http://photos.swinbank.fastmail.net/moser/Peerless27TFFC_2.jpg

A bit of background - built these over the Christmas holidays after arriving back from the UK. The tweeter is a Seas 27TFFC and the Woofer is a Peerless HDS 830875. Crossover uses bennic caps, standard 18guage air core inductors and 10w resistors. Picked up the drivers from another diyAudio member (thank you Chris) as I saw the opportunity to build a straight forward 2-way with a 7" driver. This is something I've wanted to do for a while but have been living around the world and didn't have easy access to work area or tools!

I was inspired by the idea of a traditional bookshelf (stand mount) design with good power handling using drivers with a smooth and easy rolloff, such as Zaph's SR71. In fact this design uses the same dimensions for the enclosure as the SR71 (Madisound's MD14) enclosure, but you save a little bit on the Peerless driver.

Cosmetically I used Victorian ash veneered 18mm MDF on all sides except for standard 25mm MDF baffle. The sides were chamfered front and back of the box, then copper coated along the edge. This is a good way of seemless mounting of the cut sides woofer which tends to look quite strange I think on uniform coloured baffles. I believe there needs to be something for those sides to line up with, anyone care to describe this in architectural terms?

The crossover is very simple, a design that gives the best power handling for this driver combination (which was my basic request to Madisound.) I am happy to post the LEAP output here:

http://photos.swinbank.fastmail.net/moser/LEAP crossover 830875H881.jpg

I have been absolutely thrilled by the results. I listen to lots of different kinds of music and what impresses me the most are the smooth bass response, voicing, imaging and handling of complicated passages such as hard rock. Initially I used an 0.82mh inductor on the woofer as this was what was locally available, and after noticing a slightly harsh sound, filled the air core with iron and measured the coil to spec, which flattened the filter out nicely.

Hopefully this gives some more idea's for others to work with!

Peace.

Last edited:
Ha ha, yeah I know it's a temporary solution while I rebuild the stands, they are taking a while as the base will be 40mm concrete!

I should remember to post pictures when everything is actually complete.

Amplifier is a modified AMI Jorgen from the 70's, gutted and replaced by LM1875T kit from chipamp.com with 120VA 18v toroid, dead silent!

Pictures as promised:

4524605061_47950bc1fe_o.jpg

4524605067_8f0f19e305_o.jpg

very cool mate!! i'm starting planning of a similar size speaker build, but active biamped (class A mosfet) and digitally crossed. so the cabinets would be deeper. I have the intention of adding a small sub with class D amp. I would be interested in your plans as well if thats cool. i'm in sponge mode. email to qusp (at) optusnet (dot) com (dot) au

thanks buddy

oh BTW if you could include suppliers if local and budget that would be awesome. my budget is flexible, between 2.5k and 3.5kUSD including the amps. I dont mind used and i'm not in a hurry, so will be going bowerbird over the next 12 months picking up parts as I can afford them

Last edited:
Musiccynic: Yes I used Madisound's service with LEAP, I am very happy with the service and have used in a few times in the past for my own builds and friends builds, they have all been very successful. I have confidence in the service when using more common drivers but have not used it with less common drivers on the madisound site (i.e. not Vifa, Peerless, Seas, Scanspeak etc.)

JR Freeman: Thanks man, I have them on proper stands now that I built, I will post updated pics on a separate website as I've built a couple things now worth publishing.

qusp: I recommend starting with these before adding a sub, you may be surprised how deep they go, I listen to a lot of deep electronic music such as drum and bass and blown away by the performance of these.

I'll forward the plans. Local suppliers unfortunately these drivers are hard to get at a good price locally, I would seriously consider buying all parts from madisound and paying postage. It's worth it now that they're site is setup for international quoting postage options, one of the best you'll get for Australia I think. Think about passive for the speakers, it will save you a lot of money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.