imaging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few of us were listening to some newly built speakers and I thought the imaging was like a piano was 10 feet wide and voices were relatively indistinct as far as imaging specificity. We were listening with various speakers approx. 6 to 7 feet to the listening positiion, with the speakers slightly toed in on approx. 10 to 15 degrees. When I rotated the speakers to an approx. 20 to 30 degree toe in the imaginfg change was dramatic. The voices locked in very distinctly, and instruments could be "seen" with the imaging in very distinct positions. Curiously at the same time vertical imaging locked in also. We all heard the same change. I know what I hear, but I am not able to explain what I hear, as far as frequency, etc. and I have no explanation as to why this happened. Can someone out there explain to me why this phenomina occurred?

I can't quite "picture" your listening room but the first thought that comes to mind is that the extra toe in reduced the sound that may have been reflected from the sidewalls. Hence a less clutered image........just a thought.

More information about distance from side walls, rear walls would allow the heavies to offer more insight.

Polar patter, room, and their interaction. A related issue is the change in delay of the signal crosstalk between the ears (Ken Kantor built an entire company out of optimizing this).

99.9% of getting the imaging right is those three factors. In the scale of things you can do to make REAL changes and improvements in your system, speaker placement and angle is in the top three.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.