Second Order Gradients - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2003, 05:13 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hello Kelticwizard ,

did you receive my e-mail and request for the scan?

Thank you,

M
Old 28th May 2003, 02:02 AM   #12
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Mefistofelez:

Haven't gotten the Email yet. Please email through diyAudio mail and I will send them to you right away.

There are eight pages that average 160 KB. Am working on compressing them, but I'm not there yet. Please give me an email address capable of taking that big of a file, or include other Email adderess that I can spread them around. I can also send a couple a day to you. For instance, Hotmail only allows 2.0 MB in emails-I do not know what your Email allows. I don't want to overflow your Email address.
Old 28th May 2003, 08:51 AM   #13
diyAudio Moderator

KW

If you mail the files to me I will PDF them for you and every one else. I have a 3mb mailbox do they should all fit in one go
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th May 2003, 05:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hello KW,

I sent my e-mail address twice via diy forum. Do you have your e-mail enabled?

M
Old 28th May 2003, 05:58 PM   #15
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Apparently a glitch in the Email system. I got Capslock's Email before, but not yours. Also, I have several diyAudio Emails informing me of new contributions to threads I am involved in.

Gotta run. When I return, I shall take Pinkmouse up on his generous offer to pdf the files, and relay them to you.
Old 28th May 2003, 06:06 PM   #16
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hello!

There have been at least one second-order gradient construction that I'm avare of. It was published in "Hifi", a hifi magazine here in Finland in the early 90's and also in the book called "Rakenna Hifikaiuttimet" by Pekka Tuomela, 2nd corrected print, Tecnopress 1993, ISBN:951-832-034-9.

The book is in finnish, if that makes sense to you

The loudspeaker was called Hifi-C1. The second-order gradient principle was employed in the 100-400Hz range by using 4+4 Seas P21REX elements, 4 in front group and 4 in the rear. These elements were placed in square around midranges and tweeter.
Other elements were Philips RT8 ribbon tweeter >4kHz, 2* Seas MP14RCY 400Hz-4kHz placed below and above the tweeter, and cardioid bass < 100Hz using 2* Seas P21REX and 2* Seas P17REX. Filters were passive.

From the looks of the book it sure looks an impressive idea for a loudspeaker! It was said have been used as a reference speaker in the mentioned Hifi magasine tests. I have never heard the speaker, though.

Also, it is stated in the book that the author made also design of the second-order cardioid speaker for a commercial manufacturer, but I have no info about that.

Yes, it is a rare consept that I would like to see used more often. Actually, I've had the second-order cardioid concept on my mind when thinking what kind of speakers to build, but I've neglected the idea as too expensive to realise at home.

-Elias
Old 29th May 2003, 08:35 PM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Ok folks, first half of the PDFs arrived today, will start processing and combining them soon...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 30th May 2003, 10:51 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Eeek, first cut PDF encoding bloated the file size to 220k per page, may have to do an OCR, and sub them...
Old 30th May 2003, 10:57 PM   #19
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks for doing this, Pinkmouse. I appreciate it.

I will try to load my own Optical Character Recognition Software. Neither the scanner no the OCR software worked very well at first with my 32MB 200 MHz computer back then. Now that I have upgraded to a slightly better computer and the scanner works very well, maybe the OCR software will, too.

Again, thanks.
Old 30th May 2003, 11:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

No problem KW

Just bear in mind I'm still waiting in anticipation for those IM papers you mentioned a few months ago

Hide this!Advertise here!