Poor bass extension from small vintage ARs... Help needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,

For a long time I wanted to pair my Acoustic Research AR-90s with their smallest brothers AR-18s.

Unfortunately I coludn't find any for a long time.

I had to settle with a minty pair of AR-17s that I have found couple of weeks ago. :)

On The Classic Speaker Pages forum, I've read many enthusisatic posts describing great bass coming out of small ARs like AR4x, AR7, AR18, etc.

AR-17 have similar drivers (or same as in AR-18), same one cap crossover, but their boxes are larger so they should have even more bass extension.

When I hooked them up I was kind of dissapointed.
Their sound is quite thin.

Their sound is very transparent and highly detailed, but with some recordings it can get fatiguing.

There is noticeable lack of bass.

When I use tweeter level switch on the back, tweeter output is reduced but sound gets dull and life is sucked out from the music.

I'm not sure if my expectations were too high for a speaker system of that size, or there is something wrong with them.

I suspect that the problem might be in woofer surrounds.

I hear that they are very important in sealed box design.

Original foam surrounds that rotted away due to their age, were replaced with rubber ones by original owner.

Original AR foam surrounds were very thin and soft.

Rubber surrounds that are on my AR17s are much thinner and softer than modern foam surrounds that are available to me locally.
Modern foam is quite thick and it is much harder than the orignal.

Are there some other important properties inheritent to foam surrounds?

Will I get better bass extension if I switch to foam,
no matter if it is thicker and harder than rubber in my present non-original surrounds?

Thanks in advance,

Aleksandar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.