Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2009, 04:54 PM   #11
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZilchLab
Yer not doing apples to apples here. CX3400 is analog, I do believe.

The question was CX vs dBX, not DCX. Different companies.

Zilch, Im aware that dbx is a different company. His original post had this question "but the DCX2496 is almost affordable yet needs tweaks to sound ok?"

I posted saying that I do not believe it needs tweaks but I will be testing the tweaks anyways.

and if we are talking about active crossovers for main speakers I wouldn't use anything less then the DCX as I posted before the CX is a subwoofer x-over device IMO.
Old 5th July 2009, 05:47 PM   #12
R.I.P.

Both the CX3400 and dbx 223XL are analog multi-way crossovers. The Behringer equivalent to the dbx is actually the even less expensive CX2310. None of these are subwoofer crossovers, per se, and though they may be used for that purpose, there are better options for subs only.

As soon as we step into the digital realm, the game changes, and there are plenty of enthusiasts who contend that, while they offer considerably more versatility, until moving into higher-end digitals, their sonic quality is no match for even these entry level analog units....

http://www.dbxpro.com/223XL/223XL.php
Old 6th July 2009, 12:09 PM   #13
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

I thought that the main issue with the Behringer units is the "servo balanced" inputs and outputs (both analogue and digital). They use a combination of cheap opamps (JRC4580) that detect the unbalanced/balanced connection and route the circuit appropriately, this makes the units very flexible connectivity wise but doesn't do much for the quality of the sound.

A diagram from the audiosmile site:

http://www.audiosmile.co.uk/images/a...deq-output.jpg

Iv'e heard that DBX also use the JRC4580 throughout their circuits, can't confirm that though.

Another issue in the analogue units is the accuracy of the multi-gang pots that are used.

col.
Old 6th July 2009, 01:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by col
I thought that the main issue with the Behringer units is the "servo balanced" inputs and outputs (both analogue and digital). They use a combination of cheap opamps (JRC4580) that detect the unbalanced/balanced connection and route the circuit appropriately, this makes the units very flexible connectivity wise but doesn't do much for the quality of the sound.

A diagram from the audiosmile site:

http://www.audiosmile.co.uk/images/a...deq-output.jpg

Iv'e heard that DBX also use the JRC4580 throughout their circuits, can't confirm that though.

Another issue in the analogue units is the accuracy of the multi-gang pots that are used.

col.

The question would be its audibility. That is all that matters to me.

I will be comparing though in the future. Its one of many projects.
Old 6th July 2009, 04:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi ,
Oops, I originally meant Behringer CX2310 / CX3400 / DCX2496, versus dBX , DEQX or BSS OmniDrive.
Sorry for the confusion.
I have been offered a CX3400 Behringer at a very good price. But a PCXO seems even more tempting?

http://www.thuneau.com/products.htm

the Allocator Light @ $59US is a winner? Does it work better than OpAmps in the signal path? Thanks
Old 6th July 2009, 05:20 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have been extremely curious about PC based solutions.

I just do not know if soundcards are good enough, I guess they should be.
Old 6th July 2009, 07:28 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grantnsw
Hi ,
Oops, I originally meant Behringer CX2310 / CX3400 / DCX2496, versus dBX , DEQX or BSS OmniDrive.
That's a massive range in price and capability. A CX2310 is about $170, where a DEQX starts near $4k.

The DCX is very good. Buy one, use it and experiment, and if you decide to tweak the analogue later, it's not too hard or expensive.

No experience with SW solutions, so no comments.
Old 6th July 2009, 08:37 PM   #18
R.I.P.

CX2310 is US$79.99 in the current Parts Express catalog....
Old 6th July 2009, 10:10 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Zilch this is OZ, you can just about double US prices here, although I got my CX 2310's for $99= each ( on sale; scratch & dent ) they are a good starting point and up until the last move I was very happy with them.
But; after the last move I seem to have an earth hum I cant get rid of, it doesn't effect the music but a background noise is annoying when music isn't playing.
Definitely NOT a hiss, and it appears in both the mid-bass and woofers

That said the benefits are great and the price can't be beaten, same price as 2 cartons of beer and last a lot longer

Regards
Ted
Old 15th July 2009, 06:32 PM   #20
mjg100 is offline mjg100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grantnsw
doug20,

yes, the CX does not have shelving or a notch filter that I believe the DCX does, and its fixed at 24dB LR2, whereas the DCX has more slopes, up to 48dB?

But its a lot cheaper and I think I could build shelving and notch filters with passive components onto the tweeter/FR? Bi-amped, with FR or tweeter pads etc.

I downloaded both CX & DCX manuals, and yes the DCX does have a lot more 'grunt'.

As a total noob to active bi-amped OB systems....my analogy is that its like me trying to climb Everest! Not gonna happen, but maybe..one hill at a time.

The XLR/Cannon balanced connectors are a worry. My CD and amp are unbalanced RCA. So I also need to buy a XLR preamp and 2 XLR amps. I don't want to use XLR/RCA converters.

Any ideas for a budget system? please.

Johan,

yes I would buy a DCX, but the price is way too high for me. Re your stolen CX, it seems like it has a design issue that the knobs went crappy so soon?

The CX3400 uses LR4 (24db/octave) not LR2 which is 12bd/octave.

Hide this!Advertise here!