Peerless Driver Choices Woe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Have decided to build a 2 way monitor + sub setup for my bedroom, a 2nd floor plaster/wooden wall townhouse room in brisbane. I would like to use peerless drivers as I have heard much about them and they are very well priced.

After some thought and consideration, i STILL can't decide whether to build a pair of 2 way monitors with either driver. They are phase plug designs, the 850467 and 850489.

My intention was to build a pair of 2 way monitors with the 811827 tweeter to be placed on (ick) my flimsy study desk and later on, a sub to help improve the low frequency response. Would u guys also reccomend the Wescomponent custom tweet, 810653 as well?

The 850489, 4.5" would require only a tiny 5 litre cabinet and take up considerably less desk space and integrate better with the tweeter.

However, the 6.5" version, 850467 is only each AUD$8 more! It would give satisfactory bass response and I might delay if not give the sub a miss! Of course I'd have to give more desk space to these. I believe the 850439 is a better 6.5" but I cant find a source for it in australia.

However, im told that a 4.5" would be more detailed and quicker than a 6.5".

Would i gain much more fidelity using the 4.5"? Would more bass and sacrificing more desk space be worth the extra $16? I just don't know!

Hi Chris,

Try this one (info taken from the Peerless website):

HDS 164 WR 33 102 SD AL PH LS 8 ohm - Order ID: 850467

A High End mid-woofer with rigid aerodynamic cast aluminium basket profile, and ventilated spider. The phaseplug eliminates compression under the dust cap and serves as heat sink for the coil to reduce power compression. The three or five layer sandwich cone improves accuracy and consistency of sound reproduction over the entire frequency range, creating a more "musical" driver. The doublebonded dustcap ensures that the dustcap will respond to every coil movement in a way never seen before. Another feature of the driver is its very low distortion magnet system with aluminium shortening ring and copper capped pole piece which both contribute as heatsinks for the voice coil, reducing power compression.

I have this woofer in a 20 litre box with the Vifa X25G ring tweeter, both drivers with third order crossovers, around 2,400Hz.

These are wonderful drivers, both of them, and available from WES Components in Sydney by mail order.

The strong point of these speakers are resolution, intimacy, and sound stage. They are especially good on imaging.

Although the Ft of the Peerless is 45Hz, it has quite sufficient bass in a large lounge room, even on rock 'n roll. Female vocals are just superb, best I've ever owned, and I've had 'em all, including the full range drivers from Fostex.......

Cheers,

Hugh

Chris,
Without knowing the exact size of your bedroom, I will guestimate that room gain starts at least ~90-100hz. A woofer with low end rolloff which matches the room gain will sound flat.
I think you would be happy with the bass extension of the HDS 6.5" without a sub in your bedroom-it will be very musical, and have good extension due to room gain.
http://www.madisound.com/AR.COM.html
Nice value kit, but I'm not a port fan.
regards, Jason

Thanks for the woofer reccomendations guys!!! With such good response on the 850467, I cant think of any other woofer but to take this 6.5".

diypole,

You're right, my room measures 3m x 3.8m or so and results in resonance around 90 to 110hz. These walls are plaster and wood which i think might affect the resonance even more.

I've tried very hard to model a bookshelf enclosure that can fit my desk without looking out of place or taking up too much space but in the end I gave up and designed floorstanders instead.

Here's my preliminary drawing. I spent quite some time fiddling with Visio to draw this out i might as well share it. The 3 round items in the side of the enclosure are 2" dowels meant to brace the enclosure. I'm not sure whether to flush the drivers against the baffle, it'd certainly look nice but I'm trying to keep costs low.

Currently the enclosure dimensions and port tuning are chosen with the help of WinISD. Its currently tuned to port 45hz. Resultant plot from WinISD shows these values:

110hz +0.1db
100hz +0.2db
90hz +0.3db
85hz +0.4db
80hz +0.5db and then a steeper curve all the way up to
50hz +2.4db and then steeply dropping

Cross referencing this against the woofer's frequency response would result in a gentler dip. I don't know much about speaker design but this looks to me like a winner!

Attachments

• peerless2wayfloorstand32litre.gif
    peerless2wayfloorstand32litre.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 958
I know this is an older thread, but i have a few questions. Hugh, if you don't mind, would you share your crossover schematics with me. I am really interested in your peerless/vifa setup. I am hoping to make something like yours as my first diy speakers. Hopefully with your help and some people i know this should go smoothly. Thanks again.

Hi Winter,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately my speakers are a proprietary design, from Ron Newbound, who owns Individual Concepts, a small speaker company here in Melbourne. He will certainly sell you the crossover design, but he won't just give it to you, unfortunately.

This is his living; we must respect that. Would you like me to ask him if he'd sell the plans or the crossover assembled (I designed the pcb for this crossover, it all fits very neatly).

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.