First post - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2009, 02:09 PM   #1
stampy is offline stampy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default First post

Hey guys. First off Im a newb to home theater and this is my first adventure into putting together my first real home theater setup.

So I just got finished with the construction of my left and right front speakers for my surround sound setup for my home theater. here's what i got:

mtm design on the speakers

peerless sds 6.5" mids ( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-250)

lpg 26NAFM tweets ( http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=544 )

crosses at 4k 6db (i went simple it was my first crossover Ive built)

sitting in 1.3 cube ported towers 3"port tuned to 45hz

My receivers is a panasonic SA HE-75

I haven't got the center or the surrounds done yet, but any way I wanted to test them out and see what they sounded like so i popped in iron man on bluray into my ps3, ran it in surround mode (dolby prologic2) and i had to crank the receiver up to -10 to get the volume i want out of my home theater. I though maby its a Impedance issue and i wired it up wrong but no, dmm says 7.6ohms on each speaker. Any body have any thoughts on this or is it normal with a setup with no amps?
Old 29th June 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: First post

Quote:
Originally posted by stampy
I haven't got the center or the surrounds done yet, but any way I wanted to test them out and see what they sounded like so i popped in iron man on bluray into my ps3, ran it in surround mode (dolby prologic2) and i had to crank the receiver up to -10 to get the volume i want out of my home theater. I though maby its a Impedance issue and i wired it up wrong but no, dmm says 7.6ohms on each speaker. Any body have any thoughts on this or is it normal with a setup with no amps?
You've hooked them up as main left & right? Centre set to phantom (virtual/none)? By volumr to -10 do you mean 10 o'clock?

Where the volume ends up id usually more about gain structure.

dave
Old 29th June 2009, 08:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For a cheap receiver running volume at -10 sounds about right to me.
I have to run my pioneer at -10 to get 105dB peaks.

My speakers are Cheap Sansui that use a very similar little woofer, have you set the sound to Front/large??

I'm not familiar with your set-up but if you are not using a LFE sub-woofer then what you have may be all you can get, have you access to a cheap sub for testing purposes

Hide this!Advertise here!