Custom Console Stereo/Turntable design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2009, 03:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Custom Console Stereo/Turntable design

It may be awhile before I can start on this project but wanted to gather ideas on what to incorporate into the "Ultimate Console". They are plenty big enough for just about any combination of drivers. I would however like to keep the depth to no more than say 18" if possible.

I'd like for it to have a tuner, turntable, CD and aux input for PC or iPod, MP3 or whatever new technology they come up with by the time I get this built. Maybe even an MP3 player incorporated into it. I'd like to keep this a Frugal build with most bang for the buck as a guide.

Does Baffle Step come into play as the drivers are on a very wide, 60" ish, baffle? What if this console was actually built into a wall shelf unit? Would a pair of mids per side, one firing front and the other to the side help correct this?
I like the look of space and legs underneath the unit which could facilitate bass enclosure venting.

WAF is N/A.
Old 27th June 2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A few more things to think about:

1) Stereo only? Or do you need a center channel for TV?
2) 18" deep, but how wide? 60", 72"? More?
3) What do you do with the center space? You'll need some room in the middle for your componants, but do you want storage space as well?
4) Remote control. You'll want it - how will you do it?

If you build a stereo console 6' long and up on legs, you should end up with about 7 ft^3 (max) for each speaker. That's plenty for just about any modern driver.
Baffle step is not going to be much of an issue, especially if it's up against a wall. Trade-off is that it probably won't image well - but that's not why you're building a console.

A nice old reciever would do well for amplification, radio, phono preamp, but may not have remote control. And if you put in a squeeze box or other network audio device, you will have a vast and fexible choice of tunes.

Just some stuff to consider.
Old 27th June 2009, 04:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This console could also serve as HT audio with a flat screen TV above it. I am currently using an older Sony STR-D790 surround sound reciever which would work for as much as I do HT stuff or could easily be upgraded as needed.

-How can imaging be improved or maximized with the constraints of a console?
Old 29th December 2011, 04:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I am doing the same thing. I have customized many existing consoles and they work wonderfully. I did one with sealed enclosures. I personally like sealed enclosures. I have many ideas if you want to privatly contact me for info please feel free to do so. I am setting up a business in doing this. there is plenty of room out there for many of us. I started this idea to save the ones that are still around from going into the landfill and to spark a resurgence in console stereos. People say that it won't happen, people are collecting Jukeboxes and tube gear,, it is time to bring back the two channel tube or high end solid state console. Secret to a good console is Baltic Birch structure and furniture grade solid wood outer shell. I used a rack mounted QSC amp with a preamp mixer with sealed enclosures that shook the place and was awesome. I just realised that this thread is old.. but anyway my advice. Also if you insist in using MDF make sure you fiberglass resin cut with acetone to bind the fibers permenantly to give much more strength and moisture resistance. If you fiberglass resin the mdf,, then veneer with whatever wood of your choice bind it with that resin and use 45 minute and clamp or weigh down the whole board. BOTH sides. you will have a structure that will last through WWIII and beyond. If you resin the veneer it will have a brilliance and shine that will be awesome. Baltic Birch though is my first choice. You can also build your own plywoods and make them exotic with different stains for each layer and sand bevel in strategic places and also get an amazing effect. I don't mind sharing my ideas as I am very confident in my products and what I design and build. PM me for any other ideas. Mike.
Old 30th December 2011, 12:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

No pic Mike? Show us one off your console designs for public display in the forum...
ps, QSC is one of the best amps, which one did you use? Looks more like a party console meaning a good aesthetics and music technology put together.

Last edited by Inductor; 30th December 2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: QSC
Old 31st December 2011, 02:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Pictures and website coming soon. Finising up one now. Will load some pictures on here. The QSC is an RMX 2450 Class H a bit of over kill but love the sound and it really shakes. I love the older crests as well.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I didn't realize this thread had been revived! I am still in love with old consoles but more so with the older upright models. This will have more of a mono sound but it will be used that way as well. Large modern fullrange in an H-frame enclosed in the console?

hammondcrazy, where do you find consoles in need of TLC and rejuvination? None on eBay are near me, Craigslist is spotty. Knoxville is an old town and should surely have loads in need of saving. How do I find them?
Old 10th January 2012, 03:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default consolation

Some thrift stores have them, Illwill not so much. Craigslist, estate sales, the usual suspects. Luck helps.

Hide this!Advertise here!