Eminence Legend OB..strange question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
for 2 of these 4ohm per side SERIES connected (is this a dumbass Q?) for Open Baffle,

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/legend-ca154.pdf

(the Qts is too low maybe for OB?), and they will beam a lot? at first order 1500Hz. But they have a 97dB SPL.

Two by 4ohms in series yields effective new SPL? But, surely 2 of these MUST be good to cross very low to a 27TDFC or D3806.SS OB? It kinda makes sense to me, but...

be kind please! haha, I'm still trying to sort it all out. cheers Grant

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Woofer looks ok
Using one 15" is difficult enough
Using two 15" makes it even worse, in terms of beaming and crossing to tweeter
One often used option is 2.5way, so that one woofer is crossed low around 300hz
Which makes even more sense with OB

But croosed at 1.5khz is hard enough for both 15" woofer and the tweeter
You need special xo
A simple "6db" is not likely to work, but who knows, it might do what you want, even if it doesnt satisfy others

3-4ohm is a problem though

Another option is the so called "fast" system, where you use a fullrange instead if tweeter
This allows a low xo point
It would work with two woofers in series, as you suggested
Crossed 200-500hz
You could still use a super tweeter, crossed 5-10khz

Dont let the choise of woofer determine whether to build OB or not
YOU have decide on hand whether YOU want OB or not
And you have to know the advantage and drawbacks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The mid Qt and highish Fs of the woofer means you won't get a lot of low bass. What you d get should be clean, tho. There are better choices.
Yes, the Eminence specs are usually quite accurate.

If running 2 woofers, a better choice is 2x8 ohm drivers for a total of 4 ohms. You'll gain 6dB for a given voltage and your low pass inductor will only need to be 1/2 the size.

Hi Tinitus,

Thank you VERY much from Grant in Australia.

We both had many great talks with Omni in Ohio USA previously.

I like the Eminence driver because of its response and SPL but as you say it could be difficult to implement in an OBaffle setup.

I really need to buy Mr J Krevosky's ABC dipole s'ware to see how it works with my new driver choices.

Many thanks for your info on full-range drivers to suit.
The one I am particularly interested in now is the TangBand W8-1808

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w8-1808.htm

To me, it seems that it would work so well with the Eminence Legend as above on OB. The response of both 'augers' well (ie fits well) with Martin King's (treatise or) study of OB considerations.

Cheers my friend Tinitus,
Its a pleasure to catch up with you again, and I hope you have built your new Stradivarius violin! Kindest regards, Grant

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ahhh, hi Grant
I had forgot, thanks for reminding me
Nice to hear from you
Wonder what happened to our friend Omni
His last post was about him and friends doing good work on his speaker, and that he would report back with the result
Never heard from him since, or it has slipped my attention

nice post, thanks :cheerful:

btw
I agree with Panomaniac
Last time I looked closer at OB I also concluded that 2x Beta-8 might me a good choise
They seem to go relatively low for a pro 8" with 95db
I would still consider 2.5way tho
And might work with a Hivi planar
Since then there have been several good reports about the sound of Beta-8

Subs?
Beta-8 might be better suited for a box design, so sub may be welcome with OB

cheap and "easy living"

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Never built anything like a 2-way using 15inch bass, but when listening to may of the so called high end PA systems that use a 15 and a horn they have all sounded far too "Fat" in the vocals.
Could be just me tho.

As bass unit and crossing to a 10 or an efficient 8inch at 250/300 perhaps.

Haven't a clue really Grant/ sorry

Tinitus, Hi
Thanks for info on 'fast' system using fullrange and also the Beta-8. I'll check them out

Pano,
Thanks for your critique of the Legend.
Yes, my series idea was pretty silly in hindsight. Thanks for 6dB gain in parallel info. If I get some $'s, the Manzanitas are always a tried and tested option.

gainphile,
sorry to learn of the demise of your CS2 clone. I'll search for a thread on the Physics. As a possible alternative I wonder what those P.Audio woofers are like. I'll check.

btw, great website, wow, thanks! also do you have any of those mic modules left? please. Your unit would equal or better an ECM8000!

Moondog,
A 2-way with 15" and a tweeter is in hindsight clearly ridiculous, I think I forgot about beaming when I saw the Legend's response. Dual 12" (or Tinitus Beta-8's?) woofers and a FR driver would be easier to get bigger bass. Jaycar used to sell a CW-2125, but I lost
the specs for it and wonder if anyone has tested it's T/S params and SPL / Z?

ttan & pano
I know even less about horn designs, but please tell me more. If there is an intro thread on the subject for total dummies, please let me know.

ttan,
re Behringer, in this DIY forum, there is a huge in the DCX, the cheapest yet fully optioned active solution available for PA use. I wonder why they don't make a version specifically targeted to home hi-fi, with all the required mods as standard? They would sell ...lots

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
grantnsw said:
Tinitus,
I've scoured the Eminence site and cannot find the Beta-8.
Maybe its superseded?

I doubt that
But my Eminence site is devided into "professional series", "neodynium", "American standard"
It hides under "American standard"

For #better# but more expencive I am looking at PHL
They have an impressive number of variations of their drivers

gainphile,
thanks for the links, I'll check them out, asap

yes please your mic module is sold! thanks, I'll email you.

everyone...
I've been looking at Eminence woofers...

Best Eminence 15" for OB?

T/s Parameters --> SPL fs Re Le Qms Qts XLim(mm)

ALPHA-15A 97 41 5.8 .84 7.23 1.26 8.4

BETA 15A 98 35 6.3 1.1 8.1 .58 11.6

DELTA-15A 100 40 6.3 .64 8 .53 11.1

DELTA-15B 100 45 *11.3 1.35 6.5 .61 11

LEGEND CA154 97 51 2.9 .8 4.9 >0.49< 8

DELTALITEII-2515 99 42 5.3 1.15 4.6 >0.38< 9

SELENIUM15PW3 96 47 6 1 9.3 0.66 ?

Interesting that Troels G. uses the DeltaLite-II. But otherwise is there not a lot in it except freq. response maybe? OK, the Legend is 51fs but its response is SO smooth with albeit a low Re.

Otherwise the Beta-15A looks great at the right price, cheaper than 15A. Opinions?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Apart from the poor power handling I do like the cheap Jaycar #2125, much better than the 10inch #2119

Fs32
Re 7.5
Qms 4.00
Qes 2.32
Vas 166litres
Sd 490cm<2

My plan is to use them down to 45Hz and use sealed subs below that, but all plans are subject to change without notice.
Those are Jaycars published specs
Rule #1; "Never throw a catalogue away"

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144101

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.