Driver testing results - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2009, 08:23 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CLS

Alas!

I got some custombuilt phase plugs for my 18" woofers:

The de-cap'ed woofers sounded fine without the plugs, just uglier. It'll be a disaster if the plugs make them sound worse

Those are good looking plugs. As long as the plug is straight for the entire xmax of the cone you will be fine. Our Apollo driver was xmaxing to the point where the curved part of the plug was too near the base of the cone. The longer the plug the better usually.
Old 5th July 2009, 12:03 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Nick,

I plan to run my TD15M using the ground plane method with LEAP 5 and LMS 4 at some point. I think that will be interesting.

Ian
Old 5th July 2009, 01:46 AM   #63
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickmckinney

Those are good looking plugs. As long as the plug is straight for the entire xmax of the cone you will be fine....

Thanks a lot for the kind words and experience sharing.

The straight part of my plugs cover the whole Xmax (which is small) and with extra several mm to spare.
Old 5th July 2009, 07:23 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

I posted TS parameters for the 12" woofers and a description on the Driver Measurements page.
Old 6th July 2009, 03:40 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Last request for a Beyma CP380M or Beyma CP385ND
Old 6th July 2009, 03:58 PM   #66
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Any interest in testing an older driver?

Specifically JBL 123A. This is the woofer used in the L100. I have a pair I could send along. This is a spectacularly good woofer to my ears, with extended range and quite deep bass. (25Hz Fs and .5Qts)

Might be an interesting point of comparison, and potentially validate the theory that higher harmonics are better suppressed by AlNiCo.

If you're interested, PM me with your test terms and I'll get a pair out to you.
Old 7th July 2009, 02:51 AM   #67
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by badman
Any interest in testing an older driver?
I was thinking the same thing. But I had in mind an Altec 806A. Some older, well known drivers might make for an interesting comparison - datapoint.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way. B&C's datasheet shows a much flatter response than your measurement on the QSC horn. Your measurement falls like I would expect, theirs doesn't. Do you know why? They don't seem to say what horn was used to get the flat graph.
Old 7th July 2009, 05:15 AM   #68
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by panomaniac

I was thinking the same thing. But I had in mind an Altec 806A. Some older, well known drivers might make for an interesting comparison - datapoint.
YEAH!

[Nobody believes me. ]

Quote:

EDIT: Oh, and by the way. B&C's datasheet shows a much flatter response than your measurement on the QSC horn. Your measurement falls like I would expect, theirs doesn't. Do you know why? They don't seem to say what horn was used to get the flat graph.
It's the appropiate question; manufacturers often show drivers' performance on exponential horns for the flattest curves. The only way to compare apples to apples is via data measured on a Plane Wave Tube (PWT).

In theory, a true CD horn/waveguide w/o EQ will mimick PWT performance, but....
Old 7th July 2009, 12:57 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and by the way. B&C's datasheet shows a much flatter response than your measurement on the QSC horn. Your measurement falls like I would expect, theirs doesn't. Do you know why?
They probably took more than 2 minutes to develop the EQ Looking at some of my plots I probably could have done a better job on of EQ on a couple, but I think it's good enough for everyone to get the idea.
Old 7th July 2009, 01:48 PM   #70
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hmmmm that hardly seems fair, to post an EQ'd plot. At least not without saying so. And at least you say that you do EQ to get things near flat.

I'd rather just see the response with no EQ, so that I know what kind of work the driver needs. Won't look as pretty, but at least it's the good old "level playing field."

Hide this!Advertise here!