Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2009, 09:26 PM   #11
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
When trying to go to your site my browser says it's exceeds the bandwidth.

Man I was hoping to see your site. I've looked at you photobucket many times. Thanks for all the hard work!

Dan

Indeed, thanks for the hard work!

It's a pain to test and publish drivers, so thanks for the legwork.
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:30 PM   #12
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by augerpro
I usually use gif or jpg, but thought I'd stay with bmp since it looks the best for graphs. I didn't realize bmp were huge.

Back to testing...
Don't use JPG cos the lossy compression ruins the readability of graphs. Use PNG which is a widely supported open source lossless compressed format, similar to GIF but no loyalty worries and much higher colour limit.

Look forward to seeing results.
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:21 PM   #13
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

I agree fully with richie00boy, PNG is the GIF of the future. It is a lossless format, the larger the blocks of solid colour the better it will compress, making it excellent for graphs and diagrams, not so excellent for photo. For photo, JPG was designed for this purpose. Unlike GIF, it is free and is not limited by a 256 colour palette.

Seriously, save even the high resolution BMP chart as PNG and look at the file size, you may be surprised!

Augerpro, many thanks for publishing your measurements online, very good to see 3rd party measurements of drivers, the more the merrier!
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:40 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Ok site re-opened and the files are MUCH smaller. I forgot the nearfield frequency response measurements again, but I'll get them up in a couple days. I also did not get the Klippel Xmax testing started, but I did put some distortion plots. Not exactly the same as I used to do, but I'm trying to get relevant data while not taking a huge amount of time to do it. Also I noticed a couple random measurements are missing, so I'll get them up as soon as I can.

Thank you for all kind comments, I'm glad the community finds this value!
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Rybaudio Send a message via MSN to Rybaudio
Default Re: Re: Driver testing results

Quote:
Originally posted by wxa666
But I found something to complain. The Amplitude response could be shown over a smaller range to gain a higher resolution. 50dB should be enough.
I strongly agree. Also, is it really necessary to use such a large frequency range? For, say, a 12" driver, a 50 dB amplitude range and 20-10k Hz on the frequency axis should make it easier to see what's going on and still contain all the relevant information.
Old 24th June 2009, 03:28 AM   #16
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

..again, thank you!

Old 24th June 2009, 04:39 AM   #17
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice. Can always use more sources for driver measurements! Looking forward to it. And yeah, definitely use PNG. I hope a lot more info gets posted, as there's hardly anything up at the moment. Let's gather as much impossible-to-find information as possible.. Everyone, send augerpro all your drivers!..haha.
Old 24th June 2009, 10:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via MSN to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via Yahoo to John_E_Janowitz
Thanks again for doing the measurements. As Mark mentioned over on AVS it would also be interesting to have a single graph to show comparison of all drivers in a certain aspect. For example H2 distortion of all the 12" drivers tested in one graph, H3 distortion of all on another, etc to get an easy comparison.

John
Old 26th June 2009, 12:36 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

All files are in PNG now. I also added nearfield frequency response plots and a two tone IMD plot. Xmax testing this weekend is all that is left. But I think the results so far already pointing to the leaders, this weekend shouldn't be a big surprise.

BTW I'll have some drivers for sale after this weekend.
Old 26th June 2009, 05:41 AM   #20
g3dahl is offline g3dahl  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much for going to all this effort and sharing the results!

Gary Dahl

Hide this!Advertise here!