Ultimate high-res speaker? Is Jordan JXR6 the way to go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello my fellow DIYers!
I indulge in DIY electronics, but haven't yet built any speakers...
Currently I have Snell D and BK amp, sounds alright, but... Highs sound spitty and harsch - I blame titanium tweeter, mids/bass are there, but lacking detail - I blame poly cones... I thought maybe I can improve the situation by replacing the drivers with better ones and tri-amping, but I also like the idea of having one driver reproducing most of the spectrum... So I'm thinking - Jordan JXR6 and a 8" woofer crossed at 300hz (active/bi-amped) could be the ticket??
I saw a few people built speakers with JXR6 here, would you say that it's a head above any other speaker in terms of clarity and detail?

jackies said:

but... Highs sound spitty and harsch - I blame titanium tweeter, mids/bass are there, but lacking detail - I blame poly cones...

I don't know about "ultimate high-res speaker", but waveguided tweeter + paper cone prosound midbass on OB will give you a big step up, especially compared to dome tweeter + poly cone in ported cab.

there's no real answer to this! Everyone has different tastes. One titanium tweeter might suck, one might be excellent. There are probably plenty of poly-cone woofers out there that you would be blown away by. All speakers exhibit some amount of compromise, so it has just as much to do with finding what fits what you like and are trying to build, and what fits your price range.

Nobody here has tried every speaker available (though some of these guys might be close!) so there's no way to say "this one's the best," but people will definitely have their opinions.

A good place to start might be http://zaphaudio.com

Zaph there has several mashups of speakers of various size ranges. Note that he doesn't actually review any of the speakers, and gives absolutely no information as to subjective sound quality, he merely takes measurements and then comments on the data, providing some subjective ratings based on how each speaker compares to the rest of the pack.

He covers a very wide price range, as well. A great resource!

Thanks for the answers guys!
I, naturally, looked through Zaph's website a number of times. It's an excellent resourse but, as you said
tresch said:
gives absolutely no information as to subjective sound quality
That's what I wanted to ask, opinions on subjective sound quality...
Now I know that David, for instance, felt the need to add a tweeter, so I will think and plan accordingly...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What you are proposing is called a FAST. A good example (and a thread for more examples) is here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144099&highlight=

With all the good small "full-ranges" available today (and mid-basses left over from the mid+dome systems) there is a lot of room to experiment.

The JXR6 certainly qualifies as one of the more expensive examples. Bandor, Audience, Mark Audio A5/A6, my FF85KeN (i'll probably be doing MA A5/A6eN too), and more (as has been said no one has had a chance to properly evaluate every driver)

And that doesn't cover off larger/more efficient drivers that might well do the job too.

As bear says, one does need to achieve balance in your system.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.