MDF thickness

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can do it with a jigsaw, just practice a bit first.
The trick with jigsaw cutting is to forget the circle, just watch the pencil line. Be one with the line, man. Don't think about the goal (the hole) just the line.

If you make a few practice cuts and find that they are "good enough" there you are! The router does make a very nice hole, tho....

Although quite expensive the Australian made Triton router is reliable and comes with a circle cutting guide.

+1, very nice kit, it was the first time that I work with a router (past 2 months) and I'm very satisfied with the machine. If you take care, it's going to tough you a long run...btw the cost isn't too bad, I manage to get the kit for ~230$CAN after taxes.

A fun way to learn how to use your router : read the manual, check some youtube videos and practice on scrap piece.

I made my own bench from left over 18mm mdf from my first project, it's simply a circular saw attatched to a piece of mdf for cutting sraight panels, (!) (ooppss, mind those fingers!).

I have a jigsaw and router for cutting round holes for drivers, but i free hand pencil lines with those, and i have no problems recessing drivers free hand, just take your time! Measure twice, cut once.
Little by little, bit by bit.

As for thickness of material, for a project such as yours, generally 12mm is ample, for medium size projects 18mm will do fine for most of these with sufficient bracing, and larger projects will require at least 25mm or more. For sonic perfection, consider concrete or even granite!

The world really is your oyster in the world of diy!

(p.s don't let the diy bugs bite!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.