Electronic parts on-hand for crossover experimentation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys!

Okay at this point I've built a few full-range designs with BSC filters, and I'm getting pretty comfortable with cabinet design, basic electronics, etc etc.

My next project is a 2-way MTM (or specifically W-MT-W) design, so it's time to start messing with passive crossovers. I've just read through the whole section on crossovers from Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, and it's all clicking and making sense (what a wonderful book!).

Here's the predicament: All the sources on crossover design I've read state that, while computer simulation/optimization is great, there are too many variables to calculate and some amount of trial-and-error is always necessary, or at least, optimal. Trial-and-error with passive electronic components requires a wide selection of varying components with different values.

And here's the question: What do you guys do to deal with the need for all kinds of various components? Do you have a local dealer you can deal with in town to pick up a part here or there when you want to try something, or do you just maintain your own stock of all the basic values of components, so you can swap out at will?

Options in Des Moines are limited for the former, so I've been thinking about just putting in an order of a whole bunch of assorted components. For testing purposes I wouldn't necessarily needs high end stuff, as I can order that once I've completed the design. Is this reasonable within a decent budget? Do any of you have a shopping list that you go by when replenishing your stores?

heh, truth.

So the answer is to just start scavanging old cast-away electronic parts and de-soldiering all the components, measuring them, and building a collection? XD

Unfortunately I have a project to finish and don't quite have time for that. Gonna have to do something in the meantime.

I should also try out LPSCad and its emulator. The trial version works for 2-way versions (but lack of ability to save sucks).

If you have a spool of enameled wire you can wind whatever coils you need. After you've accumulated a few values you can combine them to get others. With a bag of miscellaneous NP and film caps, you can series and parallel to get almost anything. They may not be the parts you'll use in the final construction, but the differences will usually be minor. It's true though; most everybody in this hobby gets the scavenger disease and ends up with too many parts, not too few. Not necessarily the right parts, in fact the more useless a value, the more of them I tend to have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.