ARTA tweeter measurement problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im having a hard time figuring out why I can not get Arta to give me a smooth response with running both tweeters in a test using pink noise.

Here is the FR Plot...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It looks out of phase ( or something similar, Im no expert) but I have swaped wires and Im using a DCX so I have changed the phase on each tweeter, I have modified everything and nothing will change. I have no idea what Im doing wrong.

Here are the indidual tweeter measurements

Left tweeter
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Right tweeter

The measurements are done center of my listening area in my HT room center point between the tweeters 8 feet back.

Im really stuck now as to why this is happening, I could have screwed something up but my DCX is identical for both drives, I have triple checked my wiring too.

Looks like comb-filtering effect. Nulls at approximately 4 KHz apart means a time difference of 0.125 ms (180 degrees phase shift) or a multiple of that. In distance this is 4.3 cm or a multiple. Try to carefully measure the distance to the tweeters from the mic position.

Why do you need to measure with both tweeters running?

breez said:
Looks like comb-filtering effect. Nulls at approximately 4 KHz apart means a time difference of 0.125 ms (180 degrees phase shift) or a multiple of that. In distance this is 4.3 cm or a multiple. Try to carefully measure the distance to the tweeters from the mic position.

Thanks, I will take that measurement.

Why? Im curious about my overall in room response and any Im curious to what Audyssey is EQing (before and after).

Originally I was just measuring individual drivers to setup my crossovers/EQ settings via my DCX.

breez said:

IF this is true shouldn't I be able to tweek the time difference in my DCX to fix this. I have tried many, many values in the delay setting and I saw no change.

Or moving my speakers would work but again no change :(

doug20 said:
Mic is 88" (223.52cm) from the left speaker, 83" (210.82cm) from the right speaker, the Mic is 35" (88.9) high, my tweeter centers are 38" (96.52) high.

Bingo! 223.52 - 210.82 = 12.7 cm. Approximately 3 times 4.3 cm. Disregarding the height difference, won't change the distance difference much.

doug20 said:
IF this is true shouldn't I be able to tweek the time difference in my DCX to fix this. I have tried many, many values in the delay setting and I saw no change.

Or moving my speakers would work but again no change :(

Moving speakers or electronic delay should change the pattern (different nulls or no nulls), but you really shouldn't use delay to 'fix' the interference. While listening your head will move and the distance to one ear from the speakers will continually change. This would happen with any speakers with or without delay!

I'm not familiar with Audyssey, but it should measure one speaker at a time.

Henkjan said:
if the dips are from the driver, you can (and should) fix them easily with the Behringer, but if they are in the low end and caused by room modes, you probably should do something in the room.. and remember to measure at different locations, and not optimise for 1 location

Thanks,

They are caused by room modes so Im not sure there is a fix for some of them, speaker placement is restricted a little bit so I will live with some of the dips.

I also agree to measure at different locations. My only goal with this exercise is to learn more about measuring speakers (Gated reponse, THD, Impulse), Measuring room decay and also learning more about Arta.

In the end Audyssey will do its thing (I even have the Pro version on order) so that I can tweak it too a specific curve I like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.